Part 41

During that afternoon, Katie had a study period. She was planning on heading to the library to read and relax. She was just turning a corner when someone caught her arm. She instantly yanked herself free and spun around to face whoever had grabbed her, ready to aim a kick where it hurt.

"Easy! It's just me," Luke said, grinning and raising his hands.

She relaxed.

"Good grief, Luke, you scared me!"

"Sorry," he grinned. "I couldn't resist it."

"You're terrible," Katie grinned back as she kissed him.

He wrapped his arms around her, drawing her closer. He leaned back against the wall.

"You know, we're probably breaking a dozen school rules, right now," she said.

"Probably," he agreed. "You're right, we should go outside."

So they did. The wind was still cold, but not too strong. They sat outside.

"Please tell me you're not skipping class," Katie asked, a small smile on her lips.

"No," he grinned. "Study period."

Katie wasn't certain she believed him, but she wasn't skipping class.

"Something's troubling you," Luke said, eyeing her.

Katie sighed.

"I don't know if it's troubling me... it's more... perplexing."

"You're going to have to elaborate, I'm afraid," he grinned.

"Lucy says she thinks I'm different."

Luke blinked.

"You hadn't noticed?"

Taken aback, Katie didn't answer at once.

"Well... I guess I had, kind of..." she finally told him. "I just hadn't actually thought about it until she mentioned it."

Luke leaned back, staring ahead thoughtfully.

"I suppose you were sort of pushed into changing by the circumstances..." he mused. "Same as me. I always kept an eye out for my sisters, but since Victor..."

"Yeah. My mother's always overprotective, but since they were killed, it's ten times worse, if that."

"Ah, that's a mother for you," he said reasonably.

"True," Katie conceded.

They paused a moment.

"Lucy also thinks we shouldn't try and find the Red Cloak."

Luke stared at her.

"You're not seriously considering giving up, are you?"

"No, no... but... what are we supposed to do now? We don't have any more leads, and if the Red Cloak saw us, they'll have cleared out everything incriminating at the amusement park... and we still have no clue who it could be."

"Have you asked your parents why there hasn't been anything in weeks?"

"I asked my father... I can't ask anyone else, it would be strange. But he didn't know. Nothing like this has ever been done before."

Luke pondered for a moment.

"How well did you know Georgia, exactly?"

"Hm... we played together when we were little, but we hadn't seen each other for years. Why?"