Part 22

He soon came back with the cocoa, which Katie had to admit she was grateful for. She carefully pressed her hands against the cup to warm herself up.

"So what's the story, Dad?" she asked.

Kendall took a sip of his coffee, then put the cup down, his expression thoughtful.

"The rivalry hasn't been going on for that long, really. In fact, at first, the clans were friendly, they worked together. They fell in love and created new clans or one person joined their partner's clan. They were more like families."

"What changed?" Katie asked.

"The last clan leader elections," Kendall said with a heavy sigh.

"When you became the leader of our clan? Why?"

"... Because of who became leader to the Silverwolf clan."

"Didn't they agree with your being chosen?"

"No, they were very unhappy with it. And I can't say I was thrilled by their being leaders of the clan either, to be frank."

"Why not?" Katie inquired.

"He and I were friends in school," Kendall explained. "But then, we both fell in love with your mother, and when she chose me..."

"He never forgave you."

"That's right," Mr Thomas nodded. "And the fact that I went to a prestigious school afterwards and he didn't probably wasn't much help."

Katie waited, but her father didn't continue.

"That's it? It sounds kind of petty to me..."

"I suppose some grudges are harder to let go of."

Katie frowned.

"That explains the tensions between us and the Silverwolf clan," she said. "But what about the other clans? The Blackthorn clan, the Stormwell clan..."

"Well, it all came from our scuffle with the Silverwolf, as a matter of fact," Her father explained, his expression unhappy. "They didn't think the feud concerned them, so rather than pick sides, they prefer to distance themselves from both of our clans."

"It's probably a wise decision," Katie reasoned. "I mean, it's bad enough with just us and the Silverwolf clan... is that why we can't be with other clan members, because they won't let us for fear of looking like they're siding with us?"

"That is the basic idea," her father agreed. "I must confess it's not one I approve, but I understand the use of the precautionary principle."

"What about the Redwood clan, then?" Katie asked. "Why was it such a big deal when Gideon was going out with Belinda?"

"It was nothing against Belinda personally," Kendall answered. "And believe me, neither myself or your mother liked forcing them apart. But it was for their protection. The Redwood leader, unlike most of the others, clearly sided with the head of the Silverwolf. And we were afraid that Gideon and Belinda would come to harm if they stayed together. They didn't, but the fact they'd kept it a secret for so long was a large part of that. The moment it had gotten out, things would have most likely turned ugly, particularly if they'd been caught rather than coming out with it willingly."

"But why? They weren't hurting anyone..."

"Did Romeo and Juliet hurt anyone by falling in love? No. But their families hating each other did."

Katie sighed. He did have a point.

"... So until there's a new leader..."

"Our clans will be rivals," Kendall nodded.