Part 52

Katie felt like sometimes Lucy looked after overindulging. A searing headache, dry mouth and her body feeling like lead. But she didn't remember drinking, so why was she feeling that way?She groaned and tried to rake her fingers through her hair, but... something was blocking her arms. Her eyes opened and she realised what was pinning her was thick rope. She was tied to a chair in the dark. The only light came from a crack in the window above her. This didn't show much of the room, but it did tell Katie it was daylight. This told her she'd been here several hours, at least. Her parents, Gideon, Hazel and Lucy would be wondering where she was, by now.

She tried to use the meagre light at her disposal to figure out where she was. It wasn't much, but it was enough for her to make out her surroundings. The rusty shelves, the empty boxes covered in dust, the hard wooden seat she was sitting on... she froze. She knew where she was. Or she had a pretty good idea. If her suspicions were correct, she was in the exact same storage unit she and Luke had found when they'd been around the Camelot amusement park. Which meant she had been taken by the Red Cloak. That explained why she'd felt so tired, all of a sudden.

"So. You're finally awake."

Katie felt a shiver shoot through her spine. She looked around, trying to find whose voice that was. Just then, a light flicked on. The abrupt change stung Katie's eyes, and she had to close them a few seconds. Then, slowly, she opened them again. Now that she could see, she took in her surroundings, and sure enough, it was the same storage unit she and Luke had seen in the park. She started as something moved in front of her. The Red Cloak stood before her, their face hidden in shadows. But Katie had noticed that the voice was female.

"Who are you?" She demanded. "What do you want with me?"

"Well, you were just about to figure out who I am, and I couldn't have that, now could I?" said the female voice. "So I brought you here."

Katie frowned. What did she mean? She had only been looking at a picture...

"I don't understand..."

"That's of little importance. What matters is that my plans aren't interrupted."

She turned away, looking around as though she were a queen examining her throne room.

"You know my family's going to be looking for me," Katie said evenly. "They'll find you before you know what hit you."

The Red Cloak laughed.

"What's so funny?" Katie asked, the sound sending shivers down her spine.

"Oh, I'm expecting them to come looking for me." the female voice said pleasantly. "But by the time they do... I'll have your power and be long gone."

Katie felt ice run through her as the words sank in.

"So it was you." she realised.

"Was me what?" the Red Cloak demanded pleasently.

"You were the one who killed Georgia Walsh of Starchild and Victor Dawson of Silverwolf!"

Katie couldn't see her face, but she could hear the smile in her next words.

"Well, yes, I did. It was a necessary sacrifice."

Disgust and rage filled Katie.

"Necessary for what?" she demanded, glaring. "Why? What had they done to you?"

"Personally, nothing." The woman answered with a shrug. "But they were stepping stones towards my real targets."

"The clan leaders?"