Part 15

Katie hugged Gideon goodbye and watched him drive back to his apartment near the university. Then, she went inside.

"Are you okay, Katie?"

"Better... I suppose I got the best deal I could hope for."

Her parents didn't answer, which didn't help Katie that much.

"How about we order in tonight?" Kendall offered.

"Sounds perfect," Katie said. "I'll be upstairs."

And she climbed upstairs to take a shower before dinner. She was hoping it would help her relax. As she crossed the landing, a little head popped out of a door.

"Katie?"

She turned and saw her younger sister peering up at her, concern in her wide brown eyes.

"Hazel? What's the matter? Is Nicholas bothering you again?"

Nicholas was the ghost of a distant relative who had refused to move on. He sometimes floated around the house, spouting advice even when there was no problem, and when there was, the advice was the worst kind one could think of. Generally, they managed to tune him out, but Hazel was scared of him. So Katie and Gideon were the ones who kept him away.

"No... are you in trouble? Mum and Dad seemed worried about you before..."

Katie stepped closer and crouched to be at eye level with her sister.

"It's nothing you need to worry about, okay? I'll always be around."

Hazel nodded, but her eyes still had a glint of worry in them.

"Hey," Katie said, "Come here."

She held out her arms and Hazel buried herself in Katie's shoulder.

"I love you, Hazelnut," Katie told her.

"Don't call me that," Hazel grumbled, but there was a hint of pleasure in her voice.

Katie chuckled softly.

"Love you too," Hazel then added.

Katie smiled as she released her sister and straightened up.

"Now you go brush your hair before dinner, okay?"

Hazel's face turned indignant.

"It is brushed!" she protested.

Katie glanced up at it. It was a little messy, but no more than most twelve year old children.

"No, it's a mess," she laughed, ruffling it. "Go on."

"Okay."

She slipped back into her room. Katie shook her head, glad of the small relief, and went to the bathroom. The hot water helped her body relax a little. At least now she knew she wasn't moments away from having her powers ripped away, her mind was able to ease up at little too. But she was worried about the conditions. She'd do her best to follow them, of course. But what if there was another accident? Would she be able to resist using her powers to help if her ordinary abilities were enough? Would she be strong enough without her magic? She would just have to hope so...

"So you're okay? You're cleared?" Lucy asked.

They were standing outside the next morning waiting for class to start. Lucy had been filled in on the Council's verdict.

"... Yeah. I'm free."

Katie left it at that. She didn't want to go into fact that she was more on probation than actually free. If she used her magic the wrong way, she would be in more trouble than even she could really tell.