Part 16

Katie felt cautiously more relaxed and optimistic that things could go back to normal as she drove back home. She wasn't in - too much - trouble with the Council, her parents weren't furious with her for using her magical abilities among Unspelled, and she was even managing to build the foundations of a friendship with someone other than Lucy Benson. She loved Lucy to pieces of course, but she'd always shied away from befriending others after Lucy had discovered her secret, for fear of bringing the ire of the Council on her family again. But something drew her to Luke, for some reason. She couldn't understand it, but she was tired of fighting it. And so long as she never mentioned magic or her true identity to anyone, it was safe enough, wasn't it? And for goodness' sake, she was seventeen, she was allowed to have a social life! She sighed as she turned into her street. She was just parking outside the house when she heard tires screeching nearby. A blue Ford sped into the street and stopped next to her. She quickly recognised the car and its owner.

"... Gideon, what's wrong?"

He shot of the car as she was climbing out and pulled her into a hug.

"Gideon, what...?"

"I just heard... I came immediately because they said there was a magical emblem on them."

Katie stared at him in utter confusion.

"What in the world are you talking about?"

Gideon glanced at her.

"You haven't heard?" he asked, surprised, then rolled his eyes. "Of course... Mum."

"Mum? What has Mum got to do with anything?" Katie asked, more lost with each passing second. "Gideon, what is going on? You're starting to scare me..."

He was clearly agitated. He took a few breaths and looked at her again.

"Come on. Mum and Dad will know."

He took her hand and they went inside. They could hear the television in the living room, but were too far to clearly make out what was being said, or even what kind of program it was.

"Mum? Dad?" Gideon called.

"In here," Kendall said.

They heard Helaena get up, and seconds later, her face peered out into the hallway.

"Oh, good, your sister's with you."

"Where's Hazel?" Katie asked.

"Upstairs, she's fine."

"What's going on?" Katie asked.

"Come in," Helaena said, waving them in. Katie and Gideon followed her and sat down. Katie was immediately struck by the expression on her father's face. It was grave and worried. He only ever had that expression when things were really bad. Beside him, Katie's grandmother Isadora was watching the screen intently.

"The investigation indicates that the body found in the River Thames was put there sometime last night, though further examination will be necessary to determine how the victim actually died. The victim has been identified as Victor Dawson, age twenty four. So far, the police have no information on why Dawson ended up in the Thames, but are urging people who might have any information to step forward."

"... That's horrible," Katie said. "But... I'm not sure I understand. What does this have to do with us? With our powers?"

Kendall looked at his daughter, his face even graver than before.

"What it has to do with us, Katie, is that the victim wasn't just an ordinary Unspelled."

Katie frowned, not following. Then, it hit her, and her eyes widened.

"No... don't tell me he was a warlock?" she asked in a horrified voice.

Gideon nodded.

"Not only a Warlock, but one of the Silverwolf clan."

"... Does this mean other clans might be targeted?"

"... We don't know," Kendall admitted. "But if it does... we'll need to be ready."

***********

Woah. Things just got crazier, am I right?

What do you think is going on? Let's hear it in the comments!

Will the Thomas family be able to protect itself? Let's find out!