Prologue

Three Years Ago

                                                                             *

                                                                London, England

  “Dear, are you okay?” A voice asked softly.

  Robert Price raised his head, stared into his wife’s winter blue eyes; he sat in the darkness of his office with a folded dampened letter, sitting in front of him that his mother-in-law delivered early in the afternoon. His face embedded a stone hard expression, there were contents in the letters that did not make sense, there were questions in his mind that remained unanswered yet he desired for an answer. He watched as his wife walked into his office and turned on the desk light in front of him, the only source of light illuminated the room, but there were objects that could not be seen. He said not a word as she walked around him and picked up one of the letters, a small gasp escaped her ruby red lips, her small dainty vine fingers held close to her mouth. She was a loss for words after; she turned to her husband and studied his expression.

  The letter informed tragic information relating to Robert’s ex-wife, Elizabeth Price; he had not seen Elizabeth nor has he spoken to her after she filed for a divorce and won the Judge’s appeal seven years ago, breaking not only the vow they made but breaking apart the family he dreamt of having. His daughter Ariella was in Elizabeth’s custody, whereas he now had the responsibility of his new daughter, Ambrosia, the only relation to her is through his new marriage. However, despite recent events, he has been informed that he now is granted the custody of Ariella, as his ex-wife, Elizabeth is no longer with them.

  Robert was stunned as his mother-in-law first broke the news during her visit, he sat frozen still in his seat, staring into her abyss eyes. Elizabeth’s mother was very venomous towards Robert, however, she knew she had to break the news to him; Elizabeth separated from Robert after an accusation of cheating, which was not the case. Robert was never given the moment to explain but instead of making matters worse, he decided to make it easier for Elizabeth and leave because he cared too much, he felt his presence would only make her suffer.

   “Robert, Ariella will still be staying with me. I think its best.” Elizabeth’s mother said strongly

   “She needs a father in her life.” Robert argued.

   “She needs a responsible parent figure, not some fool who prances from one,” Her words were sharp, causing him to clench his hand into a fist. “You do agree that you want the best for her, yes?” She tested his authority as a parent.

  He was silent until he pulled away from her glance “And what will you tell Ariella?”

   “I plan not to. She already lost her father, now her mother; too much grief for the girl.”

   “How long are you going to keep her in the shadows?”

   “Oh, she won’t know. That is why I came here as well, I will let you talk to Ariella, but only if it is through letters and she remains in my custody but you will pose as Elizabeth.”

   “Are you insane?” Robert’s sense came to life after hearing the absurd question escaping from her scaly lips.

   “Do we have a deal?” She asked sternly without flinching when her sanity was questioned.

  Robert didn’t say anything, he politely asked her to leave where she left with a bitter taste in her mouth but the offer lingering in the air as she left. He scanned the letter over and over and sat till light faded from the sky, pondering why her Ariella’s grandmother would focus more on hiding the truth instead of telling her. He found himself back in his office with his wife’s arms wrapped around his neck; he asked her if she would leave for him to clear his head. He did care for his new wife but there will always a connection to the first one that no one will ever take away.

  As she left, he stared at the letter and reminisced all memories he shared with Elizabeth, all joyous, bright and clear as day. There were also the ones leading up to the divorce that came into mind, as he stared at the letter; it was hard for him, trying to cope with the idea that his first love and his first wife was now gone from the world, leaving with a memory of her walking away. There was so much he wanted to tell her but never given a chance and he never will.

   “I love you,” He said softly as the words he wanted to say echoed in the office. “You never believe me when I told you it was always you.” He laughed a bittersweet laugh. “You always threatened to kick me out of the house but I stayed, but I couldn’t watch you suffer so I left.” He placed the letter down and leaned back in his chair. “You acted like you didn’t give a damn when I left, like you never knew who I was anymore.” He clenched his teeth.

   “Robert.” A voice said.

  He ignored it but it was clear that he heard it, the sound lingered in his ears; a soft and airy voice yet their words cut sharp as a sharpened blade.

   “Robert.” The voice said again.

   “What do you want?!” He yelled back at the voice he was afraid to admit he was talking to.

   “Robert, it’s been a while.” The voice smiled

   “Leave me alone.” He said as he stood up and walked over to the window where rain droplets grabbed a hold of the glass.

   “Is that any way to say hello to someone you haven’t seen in years?”

   “Why didn’t you go with her?” Robert asked directing it towards his mother-in-law.

   “You won’t let me go.” They simply said.

  Robert shut his eyes, he shook the voice away but it echoed in his head, a voice that he instantly became attached to that he wanted to let go of. The voice taunted him, making Robert accept what he was trying to hold up as a myth, an illusion. He extended his hand and pressed it against the wooden window pane and watched the rain droplets fall; a hand touched his shoulder and a chill ran down his spine.

   “Stop trying to pretend that you can’t hear me, you know who I am.” They said softly showing a very feminine quality to their voice “You know who I am, I know you do.” Their voice cracked.

  Robert turned slowly and met a pair of green emerald eyes and a heart shaped face, with brown wavy hair like a chocolate waterfall cascade down their face. He reached out for the face and pressed his hand against the rosy cheeks of the woman standing in front of him “Liz?” He said softly before he felt a faint nod, he felt his throat beginning to swell, making it difficult to swallow or speak, his eyes beginning to moisten “Elizabeth?” He said again before the faint nod was obvious.

   “Hi Robert, take care of our daughter.” She said softly before she faded away. 

-----------

A/N - Please disregard this reupload of the prologue.