Chapter Thirteen

On their way to the Leaky Cauldron, Ariella could feel all her insides turn inside out, her heart beating fast, almost as if it was trying to escape. She bit the inside of her cheek as she watched building by building past her eyes; her father stared at her but didn’t say anything. Ariella appreciated all that he’s done for her, but there also comes a time when one just has to sit in the silence and mentally brace what lies ahead.

  When they reached the Leaky Cauldron, her father tried to Parallel Park in between two cars. Once the car came to a complete stop, the sound of her father unbuckling her seatbelt made her heart skip a beat, confirming they were here. She sat in her seat; it was ridiculous she thought, for her to be afraid to face her boyfriend because of something she wanted to handle alone. Her father got out of the seat and told her to come out when she felt ready, but once Ariella was left alone in the car, she felt she would never be ready. But inside, she knew there was a boy she knew for only a year who loved her, a boy who went out of his way to keep her safe, to keep her happy and reminded her that despite what happened in her life, he would always be there for her.

  “Ariella, I hope you’re done in there. I’m freezing!” Her father complained as he knocked on the window. She let out a soft laugh and unbuckled her seatbelt to meet her father on the winter streets of London.

   “Honestly, Ariella, how long were you planning to keep me waiting?” Her father complained, holding the door behind her. A rush of warmth invited the both of them into the poorly lighted tavern. There weren’t many witch or wizards present which made it all the more easy to point out a boy with light brown locks sitting by the bar, helping himself to some tea.

  Cedric looked physically exhausted; he slouched over the counter and rubbed his face in the palm of his hand, while a yawn escaped his lips. She never seen Cedric looked so tired in her life. She looked up at her father who just gave her a smile as he waited for her to guide the way. With a big breath, she walked over to Cedric, her father following behind her and tapped him on the shoulder. He looked over his shoulder and his eyes widened.

   “Ariella? What are you doing here?” Cedric asked. It wasn’t the reaction she was expecting. He swiveled his body to face her, his posture slightly straightened. Ariella noticed faint dark bags under his eyes.

   “I thought we were supposed to meet up today?”

   “Today? You said you’d be gone for two days.” Cedric reminded her. Ariella bit her tongue. She forgotten how long she said she would be gone. Despite her stay at her father’s being more than wonderful, subconsciously, there must have been something inside her telling her to leave as soon as possible.

   “Have I? Oh, I’m so sorry!” She quickly apologized. The two forgetting that her father was behind her. He didn’t say a word until they sorted out their misunderstanding. “But then, if it’s not today, what are you doing here?”

  Cedric bleakly smiled before he let out a sigh. Apparently, a lot has happened even after one night outside of Hogwarts. Before Cedric began to explain what was had happened, he finally noticed Ariella’s father, although, oblivious due to lack of sleep who he really was.

   “Who’s this?”

  Ariella remembered that her father was standing behind her and her face completely flushed with color. She grabbed her father’s arm and dragged him to stand strongly beside her. His hand out and ready to greet Cedric.

   “Hello, it’s been a while. I’m Ariella’s father, Robert Price.”

  Instantly, Cedric stood up out of his seat, back to his lively self. He smiled and immediately took hold of his hand and gave it a firm grasp. It didn’t seem to bother Cedric at first that he was standing face to face with her father, with the knowledge that she was staying with her grandmother.