Chapter Four

The first day back at Hogwarts was nothing what Ariella expected, in just a few hours, she already found an immediate disliking to the new Defense against the Dark Arts professor. She was baffled, hearing a professor’s decision of who she should be friends with especially from one who has just started teaching at Hogwarts. That evening, she went to bed with anger running through her veins, it boiled knowing that when dawn approached, the first class of the day was a class with Professor Umbridge.

  It was the typical chaos Ariella received every start of the year; the new Head Girl or Boy would go around scrambling to give first years their schedule, leaving students from the previous year’s sitting around as they wait for theirs to be handed to them. Once Ariella obtained her schedule, she had to bid Luna good-bye since she had no interest in Defense against the Dark arts, instead Ariella would have to suffice of seeing the familiar faces from every house that she has seen in that class for the past five years. When Ariella stepped into class, Harry, Hermione and Ron were all huddled around one desk apart from everyone else.

   “Everything okay?” She asked, taking the seat next to Harry temporarily.

   “Yeah, I’m fine.” Harry said without bothering to even look at Ariella. She looked up at Hermione and Ron who gave them a face that something happened in the Gryffindor common room that got Harry worked up, almost causing a row. Ariella saw no point badgering Harry for some answers. With Hermione, she got up and took the seat next to them with Hermione and Ron being aisle buddies.

   “Everything alright?” Ariella ask wanting another voice.

  She sighed and looked over at Seamus who focused more on Harry than anyone else; she turned back to Ariella and leaned forward. “Last night, Seamus was going off about how his Mum didn’t want him returning to Hogwarts because of Harry and Dumbledore.”

   “Dumbledore, I understand Harry but why Dumbledore?”

   “It’s because Dumbledore is the only one who believes Harry that you-know-who is back, they’re just believing all that trash the Daily Prophet writes.” Hermione rolled her eyes as she pulled back. Ariella and Hermione had their share of false news from the Daily Prophet. Last year, Hogwarts hosted the Tri-Wizard Tournament, Harry and Cedric were chosen as Champions to represent Hogwarts which also made them wizard celebrities. There were a couple of stories of Hermione and Ariella being romantically involved with the champions. “Well, how about you? How was your night?”

  Ariella sighed. She didn’t know where to start. She began talking about how Cedric wasn’t surprised that the Ministry was interfering at Hogwarts and then later on moving forward to the point where Umbridge interfered between her and Cedric.

   “And that’s not all, when I left, she told me that she had high hopes for me and she’d hate to see it ruin by “influences.”” Ariella did an air quote as she looked away.

   “Influences, she doesn’t mean?”

   “She meant Harry, she knows so much about me and besides, Harry told us that she was at his hearing and voted to expel him. She doesn’t want another bad seed in her class, I don’t know, I just can’t wait till this class is over.” Ariella explained as she rolled her eyes. She then noticed a paper bird flying through the classroom; it caught everyone’s attention until it was burned to ashes by Professor Umbridge standing by the door.

   “Good Morning children.” She said in her sweet tone. Everyone turned around, Ariella and Harry being the quickest to turn away. She began to walk down the aisle, pointing her wand by the chalkboard, letter slowly appearing creating an acronym on the board. “Ordinary Wizarding Levels Examination, O-W-L, OWLs” She smiled as she got to the front of the class.