Chapter Sixteen

Christmas was a jolly and heartwarming time for all, but as seasons come and go, winter left and a new term was dawning under the cool spring sun. It was as if everyone left for the holidays as the number of students poured out of the train. Harry spotted Cho immediately who flashed Harry a sweet soft smile, he smiled back before he was pushed by Ron to go be with her. He was hesitant and flustered at first but after a few second of gazing into each other’s eyes and smiles, Harry took the lead and walked over to her.

  Ariella had separated from her friends once they were in the Courtyard of the castle, they noticed smoke coming from the outskirts of the forest, knowingly belonging to Hagrid which meant he returned from his trip. Ariella felt it was best for the three to go see him with them knowing him longer than she had. Cedric was already off and about taking care of his prefect duties. Everything was nearly perfect and reminded Ariella that nothing had changed but as the Inquisitorial Squad came marching through the courtyard, the decrees pinned against the wall of the Great Hall and  Professor Umbridge with her chin held high at the top of the staircase, everything before the holidays came flooding back at her.

  She walked and tried to disassociate herself from anything Professor Umbridge had a hold on, including the Inquisitorial Squad, but with Pansy Parkinson reaffirming herself as Draco’s right hand partner, the moment Pansy caught sight of Ariella, made it all the more likely for her to walk over and torment her as a welcome back gift.

   “Is that Price?” Pansy shrieked with a smile. Ariella was making her way to the top of the stairs, where Professor Umbridge had already vanished. She kept walking and reminded herself not to cave into Pansy’s torment, just to head straight for the common room. “Hey!” Her voice galloped along with the feet behind Ariella. “Supplanto!” Pansy cried out. The spell caused Ariella to fall to her knees at the top of the step as if a hook wrapped around Ariella’s ankles, pulling back with tremendous force.

  Pansy kneeled squatted down next to her, the rim of her shoes catching eye. She suddenly felt a slight tug on the back of her cloak, helping to bring her to her feet. “Didn’t you hear me calling out to you?” Pansy smiled as she pinned Ariella against the staircase railing. “Ten points from Ravenclaw for disrespecting authority.”

   Ariella pulled her cloak out of Pansy’s grasp; she knew that her posse, Draco’s posse was watching from the bottom of the steps. Their eyes boring into the scene in front of them, majority anticipating what was about to happen, except for one belonging to Draco. Pansy lifted a brow along with the corner of her lip.

   “Another ten points?”

   “It’s sad seeing you redeeming yourself by taking away points that nobody cares about anymore, Pansy. Have you really stooped that low?” Ariella sassed her, making it clear that what Pansy was doing was downright pathetic. Pansy flared up, her cheeks turning a scarlet red that defined her pale skin along with her straight midnight locks.

      “I wouldn’t be so smug, Ariella. We’ve nearly come full circle, and sooner or later, you’ll be right where you belong, at the bottom.”

   “Is that a threat?”

   “It’s a fact.” Pansy smiled as she took a step closer to Ariella before she walked away, happily making her way over to Draco who stared at her with stern eyes before he glanced up at Ariella for a brief second.

  When their eyes met, Ariella quickly looked away but she could still feel his grey eyes clinging on to her before he disappeared along with everyone else in the Great Hall. Looking back to the holidays, the conversation she shared with Ginny and Hermione, there was no way that something would ever happen between her and Draco, nothing would ever become of them.