chapter 12 (final draft)

"Alpha?" One of the pups, Henry poked his head in. She looked up, slightly distracted. She had too much to take care of since she had a meeting at the bank in an hour.

"What do you need, Henry?" She asked, trying not to sound impatient.

"I wanted to talk about something, if its okay?" He looked hesitant and worried enough for her to drop everything and gestured him to come inside. She went around the desk to make things easier on him and walked to the couches to the side. He sat down when she gestured him to.

"Talk." She said gently. His hands were trembling. She reached forward and clasped them in her hands. "Don't tell me you're scared."

He nodded, not meeting her eyes.

"About the rogues?" She asked quietly.

He instantly shook his head.

She frowned. "Then?" She asked.

He gripped her hand. Truthfully it hurt since he is a wolf and she was not but she didn't stop him. Instead, with her other hand, she tipped his head to look at her.

"Tell me, Henry. I cant solve anything unless I know."

He looked at her with a pained expression. With stumbling words, he explained his burden to her. After he finished, his shoulders slumped. It was a heavy burden to carry, especially with his age and what he had already been through. He was trembling though. "I don't want to leave, Alpha." He said softly.

She reached over and hugged him. Every guys needs a hug once in a while. Not the guy hug. The tight I- will-never-let-you-get-hurt kind of hug. Only women can give those hugs to guys. "You don't have to, Henry. I promise, if you don't want to, I will not let you go."

He held her right and nodded. She smiled a little and stroked his hair. Poor kid. She gently pulled away and went to her desk. Picking her phone, she went to sit next to him again. She had to be alpha and Luna both for the guys. A mother and a protector at the same time. She hugged him again.

"Which pack is your uncle from?"

"Snatchers."

"You said his alpha knows?"

"Yes." He replied. She called and waited for the alpha to pick up.

"Alpha Richard, this is Alpha Checke from Black Wood pack."

"Alpha, a surprise to hear from you." He said simply and respectfully.

"I wanted to discuss the issue one of your pack members has created. Regarding one of my pups. I am sure you know of it."

"I am aware, Alpha. What would you like to discuss?"

"Henry does not want to move in with his uncle."

"I was told the boy is underage and his uncle is his guardian. If that's true then it is not our place to interfere. If the boy comes, he can join my pack."

"Henry is a sixteen year old, he can decide himself. His uncle is not his direct guardian. His original guardian is also dead."

"Guardianship automatically passes to his uncle, Alpha." He said calmly.

"I am simply saying that the boy doesn't want to move in with his uncle. He wants to stay here with his pack. He will be fine here."

"Will he?" He asked tonelessly. "As far as I am concerned, the pack doesn't have enough members to survive for long. How can you assure his safety, Alpha Checke?"

She closed her eyes. "Alpha, I cannot guarantee his safety but you cannot either. My pack used to be bigger and stronger than yours. Or did you forget? There is no guarantee anywhere."