Chapter 24 (Final draft)

Axel's gaze was questioning and Cain's was curious when they appeared downstairs and Cortez was carrying Zane. They were surprised she let him carry her pup. She had problem trusting anyone with her pup, even in the pack, she was slightly reluctant in the beginning. Cortez was nothing but a stranger. Introducing him to the pup was one thing but letting him carry the pup was another.

"Hi, guys." She said and sat down as Cortez walked away to talk to his pack who were eating in the dining room.

"You trust him?" Axel asked her.

She nodded. "I do."

"So we don't have to keep our guard up anymore?" Cameron asked.

"Nope. Go up to bed. I'll see you in the morning." She said, turning the TV on. The rest of the pack walked upstairs as Axel sat down next to her.

"Why aren't you going up?"

"I have to show Cortez his room and retrieve my pup." She smiled at him, leaning her head on his shoulder. He nodded. "Go up to bed, Axe."

"Alright. Give my love to the kid."

She rolled her eyes and nodded. He stood up and left after ruffling her hair. She waited in silence, watching the TV unseeingly.

"Hi, Ariel. Your pup's awake." Cortez called from the dining room. She stood up and went there. His pack was almost done eating and they were beginning to leave after putting their dishes in the dish washer. She smiled when she saw her pup quiet and comfortable in Cortez's arms.

When she came into view, Zane pulled away from his uncle's shoulder and leaned towards her, making noises of excitement. She picked him up and kissed all over his face.

"Hi, bud. Did you miss momma? You did! Momma missed you too. Did you like the Alpha?" She coed to him as he laughed, grabbing her face and kicking his legs in happiness. "Are you hungry, baby?" She asked when he settled down from his laughing. "I think you are." She said when he opened his mouth for her finger easily.

"Let's go make you some milk then, huh?" She looked over at Cortez. He was amused. "What?"

"Nothing."

"Then don't look at me like that." She sassed and extended her baby to him. "Hold him, I am gonna make some milk for him. Keep him occupied."

He took Zane and she went into the kitchen, making the formula for her pup and then going back to take him in her arms. He excitedly reached for the bottle and snatched it. "Easy, pup." She chuckled and helped him put it in his mouth.

"Is he always so excited?" Cortez asked, his interest apparent.

"Yep. Unless he gets sick. Then he is very clingy. Won't let go of me or Axel when that happens."

"Axel? Your beta?" Cortez questioned her.

"I didn't tell you? My beta is my brother in-law hence Zane's uncle." She explained. He slowly nodded and looked at the pup in her arms again. He was already finishing the bottle. "You were hungry huh?" She asked him with a smile.

"You always talk to him?"

"Yep. He gives me so many great ideas too." She smiled widely. "He'll make a great Alpha one day."

He rolled his eyes and yawned. "I'm beat."

"Come on, I'll show you to your room." She smiled, looking at the leftovers on the table with a sigh.

"I'll help you clean up first." He smiled at her. She smiled back and carried her pup to the baby chair in the kitchen before the two alphas worked together to put away the leftovers. "You don't have another woman in the pack right?" He asked her.