Chapter 5

Chapter 5

I rush up the stairs and into my room, quickly undressing before showering to get rid of the scent of sweat. Katherine calls into my room to tell me that she's going to pick up my Samuel - my heart stops.  I dry off and stand naked as I apply self tanning cream all over my body, my pale white skin disappearing under my tan facade. It instantly makes my pale skin darker as I rub it all over my skin.  Goodbye Nathan, hello Mercury.

After checking my body for any remaining skin, I go into my room and put on a pair of denim shorts with a jack and jones duffel shirt. Making sure they're branded so that I definitely won't be recognised. It's not that I used to wear sloppy clothes, but plain shorts with plain t-shirts were the only things I wore to school - standing out has never really been my thing.

I walk back into the ensuite, checking myself in the mirror I scan myself all over and look at the light tan colour covering my pale skin. My once brown hair hidden under my straight blonde mop.  All that's left are my two brown pupils, the theoretical windows to my soul. I look at myself and pray that this will all be worth it.  What happens if he recognises me?  I grab the plastic bag from the sink and pull out the lenses.

I read the instructions on the back of them, and then slowly pick up one and put it on my right eye.  As it rubs against my eye it instantly begins to sting;  forcing me to blink a few times, letting moisture cover the lens - soothing  the stinging until eventually it subsides. I repeat the process with the left lens and soon find both of them in my eye. The stinging stops and I can see perfectly fine. I look in the mirror.  Hello Mercury. Goodbye Nathan.  I whisper as I look at my reflection.

**********

There's a knock at my door that causes me to get off my bed. 

"Come in."  I answer as Katherine pokes her head through. 

"Hey.  Um Samuel's here if you want to come down and introduce yourself."  She says with a friendly smile.  I nod and make follow her out of my room.  As we make our way down the staircase, my heartbeat increase. I see a grey haired figure sitting in the lounge with his back to me, talking to his father about the camp.  Apparently he scored the most touchdowns - great for him.

"Uhum." Catherine coughs as she announced our presence. Both Frank and Samuel turn their heads.  "Now you two might have already met; but if you haven't this is Mercury." I feel a sense of relief surge through me when she doesn't call me Nathan.

"Mercury. What grade are you in?" Samuel interrogates as he stands up to face me. 

"11th."  I reply blatantly as Katherine starts talking to Frank about dinner.

"How come I haven't seen you around then?" He asks, I try to gulp - my voice stuck in my throat -feeling like a deer in the headlights. 

"I'm new." I say slightly quietly so that Katherine won't overhear me. Her knowing the fact that my aunty lived here her whole life, would be a dead giveaway that I've attended school here my whole life. Thankfully she doesn't look over.

"Well. It's nice to meet you." He puts his hand out for me to shake.  "I'm going to bathe now." He says as he makes his way to the bathroom at the end of the hall. I release a sigh of relief that he distances himself from me.  Either the disguise worked, or he's a really good actor.

"Enjoy your scented candles." I whisper quietly to myself when he's out of hearing distance.

**********

After everyone disperses from the lounge, I decide to explore the house. I walk through the multiple guest bedrooms that the house boasts.  I sit in the in house cinema.  I check out the gym.  I observe  the pool. The Olympic sized pool. But even due to its size, it can't dent the 38 acre backyard that lies behind the house.  After exploring the estate, I walk back into, and sits down in, the main lounge.

Katherine comes in from her office and sits beside me. "So Mercury. Why didn't you call me this morning when you got lost?  Do you not have our number. Get your phone out and I'll give it to you."  She smiles and waits.

"I don't have a phone." I confess.

"What!" Catherine exclaims loudly. 

"We're going shopping!" She says happily with excitement evident in her voice.

A/N

Hey guys; sorry this chapter is a little boring. It's a bit of a fill in. Um vote. Comment. Follow.

Oh and that's his duffel shirt off to the side.

Date edited: 6/2/18 1:48 pm

-YOP