Chapter 17

Nijicchi's Notes: Two updates again in one day! Haha, makes me proud of myself :D So thanks for those who shared their thoughts last chapter. You guys had great ideas, so I hope this chapter won't disappoint you XD Enjoy~!

----

"About us,"

You wanted to peek. You wanted to see their faces, see what kind of expression they had. But alas, you can't possibly risk getting caught, that would make things more awkward.

"Us?"

"Yes," replied Akane.

Mayuzumi let out a dry laugh, "You ruined my lunch break just to talk about us? About two classmates?" He was mocking her; you simply knew.

"Chihi-"

"Aren't you being too damn familiar for an acquaintance?" he cut her off.

"Th-then, Mayuzumi...-kun, I'm sorry!"

"Don't say things you don't mean,"

"But I mean it, I really do. I shouldn't have left you; I shouldn't have entertained Mizuno-senpai. I shouldn't have--"

"Will you stop that? I'm not interested in listening to your stupid regrets."

"I'm sorry. Just... I'm so sorry that I hurt you,"

Hurt him? So Akane really did hurt him... It was Akane who ruined that kind of 'thing' they had.

"Will you stop saying 'sorry'? You're ruining it; hell, I already feel bad for that word,"

Wasn't he being too harsh? Or was it just fine for what Akane did?

"B-But you said that no matter what, you'd always lov-"

"Don't you dare say it," Mayuzumi cut her off sharply. "Just remembering it already makes me want to puke,"

Silence passed; and with every second, it made it more difficult for you to stay still.

"Us..." Mayuzumi started, "What the hell is even wrong with you? Wanting to talk about something that never even existed."

Another moment of silence passed. Even though you can't see them you could still feel the tension between them.

"Why? Why can't you love me like you did back then?!" Akane raised her voice sounding desperate.

"Because now is different from back then," Mayuzumi's voice was unexpectedly calm. Deadly calm. He almost sounded like his usual self except his voice still had an edge on it.

"I-Is there somebody else?" Akane asked.

"Yes," he replied curtly. Somebody else? Somebody else that he likes? Does he even talk to anybody else here? You could only wonder who the lucky girl was.

Me, maybe? You mentally scolded yourself for making such assumptions. Oh please, wrong assumptions ends in heartbreaks.

"She's someone who has been close to you since she started going to Rakuzan, but she's nothing like you," said Mayuzumi, "She's loud, and can be real dumb at times, but she never fails to surprise me."

Someone close to Akane?

"Why are you telling me this?" Akane asked with desperation still evident in her voice.

"She's been feeling down lately," Mayuzumi answered ignoring her question. You had to stop yourself from making any sounds when you heard that. Doesn't the girl Mayuzumi's describing sound like me? But I'm not really close to Akane...