Chapter 4

You just learned yesterday that you'll be working with the gray-haired guy tomorrow, and even today, things just doesn't seem to go your way. Due to some certain amount of bad luck perhaps, Aoi and Mayumi are both absent for the day.

How could the two of them absent on the same day? How are you supposed to survive lunch break then? May be you could go to the rooftop and spend some time alone. You planned your lunch break as you stared at the teacher who was discussing some boring history stuff. Well, history was not really boring; it was the teacher's fault to present in such a boring way.

"(your name)," Akane called you softly. You looked at your right and saw her write something on her notebook. It was a page number. "The teacher's calling you,"

"Well (your surname)-san, would you mind reading?" you heard the teacher say. Thanks to your seatmate, you saved yourself from embarrassing yourself once again. After you read the paragraph on your book, the bell then rang signaling the end of the boring subject (or teacher to be more accurate).

"Thanks, Akane-chan," you told your seatmate (at your right).

"It's nothing, you were kind of spacing out so..."

"He's boring that I can't focus," you replied and she laughed softly.

"I can relate to you on that," she smiled. Gosh, she's an angel.

"Well, see you around," you said before leaving the room with your lunch box in hand. You made your way to the rooftop even if you considered it a pain to go all the way to the other building. It shouldn't be that bad to be alone for once in a while.

You opened the door then settled yourself on the floor beside the wall. The weather was just fine and no one else was there. May be no one really goes here except the three of you. You started eating your lunch silently.

Silence.... You just missed the loudness of Mayumi and the soft laughter of Aoi.

You sighed, "Guess it's not really that good to be alone once in a while," you mumbled softly as you stared down at your barely-eaten lunch.

"Yeah maybe, except you're not," you almost jumped out of your skin when a male voice spoke. Of course, you knew who it was. You looked to your side and saw the guy you were expecting to see. Mayuzumi was there, sitting on the ground as well while leaning against the railings. He was holding a book in his right hand (which was not surprising at all) and a half-eaten sandwich on his left. A bottle of water was also resting on his side.

So he did go to school? He wasn't there yet when you arrived this morning and you didn't feel his presence at all until now. Did he, perhaps, skip classes?

"Mayuzumi?" was the only thing that escaped your lips as you looked at him in confusion. "What are you doing here?"

He looked at you with his dull gray eyes then raised an eyebrow. He sighed. "You sure ask the dumbest of the dumbest questions," he said with the familiar hint of amusement in his voice that you can practically see him smirk behind that book. "I'll enlighten you then, I'm currently reading and eating," he continued sarcastically.