Chapter 19

When I came back home from Nehemiah's house, I took the courage to tell my dad that I wanted to talk to him about something important. It's time to tell him about the relationship I have with Nehemiah. With everything that happened yesterday, I want Nehemiah to finally meet my parents. He was hesitant at first, but I told him that they will love him, hey I do.

Right now it's almost eight o'clock at night. I'm sitting on the chair from the dining table across from my parents.

I don't know how to start this conversation. If I should tell my dad straight forward that I have a boyfriend and I want them to meet him, or that I've been seeing someone and I want him to come over and meet them. I think I'm going with the second option, it sounds smooth and not rushed. Good thinking Magdalena, I mentally high fived myself.

"What is it Magdalena?" My dad questions, narrowing his eyebrows in confusion. My mom was right beside me, supporting me on what I've been wanting to tell him.

I'm very happy that my mom didn't react on what I thought she would've when I told her. I'm hoping for the best with my dad as well. He's very cliche when it comes to these things.

"Well." It's now or never. "This past month I've been talking to this boy, his name is Nehemiah Smith. Recently we started going out. Our relationship is getting to the serious point, so I kinda wanted him to come over tomorrow so you guys can meet him. He makes me really happy dad, if you don't believe me then I don't know what else to say." 

I started to fiddle with my fingers in my lap, nervous to hear on what my dad has to say. I looked at him and waited.

His face expressions were all over the place. I can tell that he was astounded with what I had said
although I couldn't pinpoint if he was mad or not. The quietness in the room was starting to get to me, if he doesn't respond, I'm about to go insane.

My dad finally spoke up, "So you're saying that my little princess has a boyfriend." I nodded, letting him continue talking. "I'm looking forward to see the boy who makes my daughter happy then." He smiled.

"Really, you're not mad." My eyes widened after his response, I did not expect this at all. I thought he was going to be furious about it.

"Why would I be. You are a young woman, you get to make your own decisions now. I'm only upset seeing that my little girl is growing up."

"Aww, dad. You know that I'll always be your little girl." I got up from my chair to give him a hug.

"I know. I was just afraid that when you did have a boyfriend, I don't want you to forget about us."

"Dad, now why would I do that. I love you guys very much, I would never do that."

"Ahh, I'm glad to here that." My dad kissed my forehead.

My mom came towards me and gave me a hug as well. I am going to treasure these moments that I have with my parents, because one day I won't be able to anymore. I heard a door open when we were still hugging.

I recognized it to be Alex once he saw all of us in the dining table.

"What's going on in here." Alex took off he backpack and put it on the couch looking dumbfounded.

"Come over here and don't ruin the moment."

"Alright." Alex come over and gave us a huge hug. He decided to come on my side and crush the hell out of me like always.

"Alex, you're squeezing me." I wheezed.

"I know," he said proudly. I rolled my eyes.

My family and I stayed like this which felt like forever. I'm definitely going to miss my parents once I start college. With the distance from San Diego and Los Angeles, I plan on moving over there. It's going to be hell if I ended up driving here to over there everyday when I have class. That's a total waste of gas, if you tell me. I wonder what Nehemiah will say when I tell him this, I have a feeling he won't be happy about it. We need to learn how to compromise once the time comes though.