nine

MY ENTIRE body ached the day after the field trip. Thankfully, it was the weekend and that was enough as an excuse to sleep in and enjoy my warm cocoon. The Californian weather was hotter than ever, and the AC in my room was turned up to the max to provide maximum cool in the guest room.

Sleeping in wasn't an option for me because in burst Molly, her hair frizzy and her curls all over the place, dressed in her purple My Little Pony pajamas and she began jumping all over my bed, waking me up. Apparently, sleeping in isn't a norm for the Marks because in entered Alice, wearing a thin camisole and shorts.

"Rise and shine Jasmine Darling!" she exclaimed, pulling the curtains open.

"Why am I up early?" I complained, pulling the covers over my head. Alice walked over and switched off the AC.

Alice tugged at my blanket. "Darling in the Marks household, you've got to get used to our weekend customs." she explained cheerfully. "We're going to the-"

Molly jumped in, cutting off Alice's sentence. "We're going on a weekend road trip!"

Road trip, that was enough to get me up and ready. Back home, dad enjoyed taking us onto camping trips, although, I would be the one hanging behind with my mom at the site whilst the boys all did their boy things. Road trips were fun, and with the right people, it'll definitely be enjoyable.

"So is this an overnight thing or just a full day road trip?" I asked, pulling the covers off and climbing out of bed.

"It's a full day thing, now get up quickly to pack or we're going to miss some many things!" Molly exclaimed, dragging my hand.

I rubbed my eyes groggily. "What time is it?" I asked, yawning at the same time.

"Five!"

Have I ever expressed my love for California? The sun is always up, bright and early, decorating the sky with warm orange and red hues. The starry blue and purple sky from the night before blended with the sun's colours and faded away slowly into the abyss. Looking out at the dawn from my window, it was exactly how I pictured a typical California dawn, warm and cool colour blended together.

I didn't get to enjoy the dawn as much because I was reminded to start getting ready for this family road trip that they have ever so kindly invited me to. It made me think twice about Connor's bad boy status because who knew that a little devil like him went on road trips with his family and younger sister?

Once I had freshed myself up, I decided to wear a black striped top with black short overalls and grabbed a denim jacket in case it got cold. My duffel bag was stuffed with random things: headphones, hair ties, a black floppy hat that I had folded and candy. I grabbed my grey slip ons which are a go-to and tied my hair up into a ponytail and headed downstairs to join the Marks family.

Molly was standing on top of the dining chair, reaching for a jar of peanut butter in the center. She was wearing a blue dungaree over a light purple shirt. "Hey Molls!" I called. She turned around and beamed at my outfit. "Dungaree buddies!"

She giggled and hopped off the stool. I can't believe she was eight because she looked adorable with her hair in pigtail braids and her short height. I'm not that tall myself either but she looked tiny against me. "I thought dungarees were for little kids." She giggled pointing at my black dungaree shorts.

"Well I'm a little kid like you at heart." I said bending down to her level and giving her a bop on her nose.

"You're fast." Alice remarked from the stove. The pan sizzled with the smell of French toast cooking in a pan. She flipped the bread over with ease and my mouth watered at the sight of the toast. "You're even faster than my little Connor."