Chapter 5

The next day, Sibyl walked in my room with a box. Marak was grooming himself in the corner, and Shadow was on the bed with me. Dusk was somewhere outside. "Good morning!" Sibyl beamed. "How are you?"

"The same as yesterday," I replied. "Bored and injured. What's that?"

Sibyl laid the box on the bed, and Shadow sniffed it. "Nothing alive," he confirmed.

"Your dress!" Sibyl exclaimed. "I made you a dress."

I examined my nails. "Already?"

Sibyl put her hands on her hips. "What do you mean by that? I had the fabric to do it, and it doesn't take me that long to make a dress. Well, look at it!" She stared at me.

With an exaggerated sigh, I lifted the lid. Inside was a nicely folded dress. I took it out and studied it. It was very lightweight. The dress was a dark forest green with black trim and bodice. There was lace at the end of the sleeves, and the neckline appeared to be high on my chest. The skirt was flowy. "Leave, and I'll try it on," I muttered. In the box, I found undergarments and a pair of black boots that went up to my ankle. Luckily, there was also a mirror to check my hair and face. Sibyl grinned one last time at me before leaving.

I quickly dressed and showed Shadow. He shrugged before mewing, "It actually doesn't look bad. It fits just fine. I think I like it."

I started to walk around. "I can move around. I guess I'll wear it."

Shadow mewed in amusement. "I never thought I'd see the day when Faeryn willingly wears a dress."

I narrowed my eyes. "I wouldn't push it if I were you."

I sat on the bed and picked up the mirror to examine my face. The scratches were pretty much gone, and the bruises were extremely faint. My eyes glimmered at my reflection. I loved my red eyes. They were dark, so they weren't bright. My black hair flowed down my shoulders and back. I was glad I didn't have to brush out that mess. My skin was pale, making my eyes even more noticeable. I smiled with my dark and plump lips, revealing my white lips. "I don't look too bad."

Sibyl opened the door and walked in. She clasped her hands together as she inspected me. "You look simply marvelous!" she exclaimed. "You should wear dresses more often."

I smirked before saying, "Yes, and I should live amongst other humans that aren't able to control their magic. That's a great idea, Sibyl."

"Can't you take a compliment?" Sibyl muttered.

I rolled my eyes and stood up, putting the mirror down. "I want to know if there is an apothecary in this village," I said.

Allen walked in, and Rose was close behind. Sibyl stepped toward me. "I'm not sure if I want to know why you're asking.

I started to hide daggers inside the folds of the dress. "I have a strange feeling."

Shadow hissed and ran to the door. "That's what you said before you made that infernal potion! No more feelings!"

I glared at him. "Let me finish, Shadow. I have a feeling that I will need to make a potion soon. I want to be prepared. I wish to know if I need access to any ingredients before I need them."

Rose's jaw dropped. "You'll make a potion?"

I began to put my hair up in a bun. "If I need to. Probably not since I need magic to do it, but we'll see what happens."