Chapter 18

I opened my eyes. They opened. They actually opened. It was hard, but I was able to get them open and see light. I was in an unfamiliar room. It was larger than the guest bedroom I was in, so I figured that it was Lux's. The bed was huge and had a canopy, so thin curtains separated me from the rest of the world. The blankets were made of fur. I knew it was supposed to be soft, but it felt rough on my fingers. I groaned. My side hurt and ached, but it wasn't burning like before. I felt tired, but I was alive.

The door opened. I closed my eyes immediately. I wanted to look like I was asleep. Someone walked up to the bed and pulled the curtains aside. The bed dipped as someone sat down beside me. A hand was laid on my forehead. I frowned. "I know you're awake, Faeryn,"

I opened my eyes and glared at Lux. "What do you want?" I asked. My throat was scratchy, and I sounded hoarse. I could only speak in a whisper.

He leaned towards me, and I looked away from him. I didn't want to look into his eyes. "I'm glad you're so grateful I saved your life," he whispered in my ear.

I tried to move away from him, but it was too painful. I bit down my cheek and lied back down. "What happened?"

Lux lightly placed his hand on my side, but there wasn't enough pressure to put me in pain. "You passed out as I carried you inside. I had to replace the lost blood and close the wound. You've been out for a few days."

"Where are the others? My familiars and the other three?"

"Allen, Sibyl, and Rose are staying in the guest rooms. Your familiars are here. Shadow usually stays inside, but Marak and Dusk are outside. Everyone is safe, Faeryn. Even Sibyl is almost back to her full health."

I sighed in relief. "Good. Is she satisfactory?"

Lux leaned away from me and sat against the headboard. "She'll be okay. Better than nothing."

"How long will I be like this?"

"It'll take a week or two to regain your health back, but you should be able to walk today or tomorrow," Lux responded.

I threw my arm over his legs and turned onto my side. "Sorry you had to help me again," I mumbled into his leg. "Will I have to pay you for that?"
He chuckled and laid a hand on my back. "Don't worry about it. Just rest and recover."

I nodded. "Yep, will do." And then I fell asleep.

***

I didn't get out of bed that day, but the next day, I did. I wasn't able to walk much, but I was able to go down the stairs (with Lux's help), and talked to the others in the kitchen. We all sat around the table, including Lux. He didn't have anything covering his face. I wondered what he looked like to the others. I noticed Sibyl staring at him a lot, and I scooted closer to Lux without realizing it. He leaned in to whisper, "Jealous?"

My cheeks felt like they were on fire. "Of course not."

He smiled at me, mocking me. "She'll be with me soon enough."

I looked away from him. "I know!" I returned my attention to the others. "So, how long are you guys staying?"

Allen shrugged. "I'm not sure. Maybe a few more days. Perhaps once you're ready to go."

I cleared my throat. "Um, we are separating after this, Allen. I have no need to stay with you anymore."

"Where will you go?" Sibyl asked, her eyes on me instead of on Lux. "Allen told me about what your house is like."