Chapter 10

I fell asleep again. Of course. I didn't usually require much sleep, but I guess that changed. The sun was going to be down in an hour or two when I woke up. I sat forward and rubbed my eyes, startling Allen in the process. I looked forward. We were almost out of the Haunted Woods.

I crossed my arms and continued to sit like that. We were nearing the outskirts of the woods, so there was no point in getting comfortable. I didn't realize how fast we were moving before. Now that we were close to the edge, you could see how quickly we were nearing it. Before, it was hardly visible.

It wasn't long until Marak started to slow down and get closer to the ground. I was a little disappointed that the flight was almost over, but I needed to stretch my legs anyways.

Soon enough, we landed. I jumped off immediately. I almost lost my balance, but I regained it before Allen noticed. Marak snorted, a sign that he wanted Allen off as well. His back must hurt.

Allen and I both stretched for a little bit. We were on Marak for a long time, and I hated being in the same position for long periods of time. Dusk flew around us, making sure that no one was around us.

I looked towards the village. It was close. Less than an hour's walk away. I tugged on Allen's sleeve. "Come on, we have to go."

He nodded. Allen looked sleepy.

We began to walk back. I kept a brisk pace. I didn't want to waste time just walking. After a while, Marak became invisible so that no one would see him.

It was evening, but the sun was still out. If we kept walking quickly, there would be sunlight when we reached the village. There should be, I thought to myself.

I cleared my throat. None of us talked yet. "Um, sorry if I'm a jerk anytime soon. I might be. Probably will be."

Allen took a few long steps to walk beside me. "And why would you be a jerk? If you're apologizing in advance, you can avoid it."

"Not really," I muttered, thinking of Lux.

Allen grabbed my shoulders and forced us to stop. I looked into his eyes. What is he doing? He watched me, and the longer he did, the more he frowned.

"Listen," he started, "I don't know who you are exactly. I don't know your past. I don't know what you want. I don't know what you truly think about some things, and I don't know what you're planning. But that doesn't mean anything. I don't care if you're some pretty girl that thinks that she can get away with everything. I don't care if you are, or were, a witch. I have a family to protect, and I will protect them, so don't you dare think that you can get away with harming-"

"Woah, slow down," I said, feeling a little frustrated. "Your family? Who ever said anything about those two?"

His eyes narrowed, and he opened his mouth to speak, but I didn't let him. "What would I even want with them?" I asked seriously. I knew the answer to that. I needed Sibyl, but he didn't know. And he won't.

Allen's hands fell to his sides. "You're right. There's no reason you would hurt Sibyl and Rose. There's no reason."

I turned towards the village and continued on my way. "Of course, I am. Aren't I always?"

After a few seconds of silence, I finally heard Allen's footsteps behind me. He confused me. I didn't say much, but he was somehow shaken up by something.