Fireworks In The Night

I awoke to Kaleb snoring peacefully beside me. He was prone with his head tilted to the side and his mouth slightly open, most likely drooling all over my pillowcases. I eased myself off of the bed trying my best not to wake him and grabbed my phone off of its charger. My mind flooded with thoughts of Dustin and Loissa and I promised myself that I would go see him today.

I found some of my favorite cookies in the pantry and sat on the kitchen stool scrolling through Facebook before creating a status of my own. There was a ton of get well posts and messages. I did not realize how many people knew about the incident.

Thank you for all of the get wells and prayers! I'm doing much better! Love you guys (:

A few moments later my phone buzzed revealing a message from Patrick.

What are you doing up? Are you feeling ok?

I rolled my eyes at the message wishing he could see me. I turned on my read receipts, opened the message, and then exited it out of them leaving him on read. Toying with my feelings is one thing, doing it while Kaleb is here is another.

I went to grab some juice out of the fridge when my phone off a few minutes later.

That's petty and you know it Jules.
Can you meet me outside? Please.

I thought about it for a few moments before texting back.

Ok.

I turned off the kitchen light before exiting into the living room and out into the cold winter air. I spotted his car and walked over to see him leaning against the drivers side door with his hands in his jacket pockets. Our eyes locked and I could feel my pulse speed up. I managed to look away before I became too obvious.

"I didn't really get to talk with you the way I wanted earlier." He said.

"Why didn't you?" I asked already knowing the answer.

"Um.. Because of him. Kaleb I mean. You get all starry eyed when we talk. I didn't want to set off any signs." He said smiling at me.

"Don't think too highly of yourself. You brought your fiancé along." I said coldly knowing that he was right.

He smirked and shook his head.

"You can't say I'm lying though." He said with a straight face.

I remained silent as I took in the sparkle in his eyes created by the street lights. Even if he was angry, his eyes would not show it. They were consistently soft. I was grateful that my favorite attribute was consistent.

I snapped out of my gaze a few seconds too late.

He smiled, a smug smile at that. I hated that I always let him win.

"Come here." He said and he put out his hand.

I stared at it before looking up at him.

"Why?" I asked.

His eyes seemed softer as he pleaded with his hands.

I took a few steps forward and met his hand with mine. He squeezed it gently before inching me close enough for our bodies to touch. Both of his hands traveled slowly down my back. It was 20 degrees outside but my body became warmer making me want to remove my jacket. I rested my eyes and my hands on his chest afraid of what I might feel next if I looked back into his eyes.

His lips brushed against my forehead before kissing it a few times.

"Why won't you look at me Jules?" He whispered.