Shattered

There was a buzzing in my ear as I tried to open my eyes. The morning sun was shining through long burgundy curtains. I turned to see Patrick under the covers sleeping peacefully, his body rhythmic with his breaths. I leaned over the bed to pick up my pants in order to retrieve my cellphone. There were 10 missed calls from Kaleb and 7 from Katie. I skimmed over a few text messages expressing concern and a bunch of questions. I replied back to Kaleb saying I had a lot of things to do and that it was important that I did them on my own. At one point Katie had sent a text asking if I was with Patrick. I replied back saying I would explain everything to her when I got the chance.

I rolled out of bed gently and found a random t-shirt of Pat's which I threw over my head and proceeded to go into the bathroom. I looked in the cabinets searching for a pack of unused toothbrushes which I was happy to see he had. After brushing my teeth and wetting my hair to refresh my curls, I walked downstairs and into the kitchen. My mood was set on pancakes and eggs. I was surprised that I was finding everything so easy.

"Good morning sunshine." Patrick's voice rung from behind me making me jump.

I turned around and gave him a look of disapproval.

"Is this for me?" He said as he came up behind me and wrapped his arms around my waist.

"It is." I said as I took the eggs off the stove and placed them to the side.

I turned around to face him. He looked even more handsome after a nights rest.?His hair was tossed and his eyes big and brown. He smiled and I smiled back at him.

"God, I love you." He said as he bit my lip.

I embraced his kisses and soon my appetite changed for more of him. His hands traveled downwards and up under his shirt as he cusped my backside.

We jumped at the sound of the doorbell ringing.

He placed his finger by his mouth signaling me to be quiet. I watched him as he walked over by the door and peered through the peephole.

He mouthed, "It's Loissa."

I started out of the kitchen and signaled him to let her in as I went upstairs to put on more appropriate clothing. I found some feminine  clothing in one of his drawers but settled for one of his sweat pants and a hoodie.

I listened into the conversation for a few minutes before going back down. I heard Patrick mutter that it's important that she goes to the police.

"I can't go to the police right now, that will only make things worse. I only have so much time to spare but I trust you to keep this between you and me until I can find more time to explain everything. I gotta go now. I'll be in touch." She said frightened.

Silence traveled until I heard Patrick say ok before walking her to the door. He signaled me to come down as he walked back into the kitchen.

"She's in danger Pat. I have to do something." I said.

He shook his head.

"She's in danger Jules? She? She wasn't the one shot. She's not the one in a got damn coma."  He said as he threw down his plate.

My eyes widened at first until I understood his anger. Dustin is his brother.

"She came into the hospital with bruises a few months ago. She's in trouble. I should've done something about it when I had the chance but I never did. This is all my fault." I said mad at myself.

His facial expression went from infuriated and softened into sympathy.

"No, no, no. You're not going to blame yourself for this. None of this is your fault. Do you understand that? We are going to figure this out together." He said before placing a gentle kiss on my forehead.