Chapter Ten: In All Fairness, It Isn't Fair

[Tracy's P.O.V.]

It's been weeks since the accident and I have been visiting Shane at the hospital on a daily basis.

I had a huge grin on my face while I was walking to the hospital. I had some great news for Shane and I'm itching to tell him every single detail.

"Hey, Cynthia," I greeted his mother when I arrived. The insomniac bags around her eyes were slowly diminishing and the usual color of her face was gradually coming back. I guess everyone have moved on from the accident and had gotten used to it.

"Hey, darling! How was school today?" she asked.

"It was fun. We played volleyball at Gym class and my team beat Maya's. You know the girl Shane and I always talked about? The one who wears really short mini skirts all the time?" Cynthia smiled and nodded. "Yeah, that's her."

"I assume you were ecstatic when you defeated her," she wondered.

"Very," I snorted. She chuckled at my response.

"I see. Your mother called earlier. She asked me to tell you to be home by six. Is that okay with you?"

It was my turn to smile and nod. "It's okay. Besides, I just wanted to tell Shane about how I beat our mortal enemy," I explained. She laughed at my response once again. "Oh, and by the way, I've brought some flowers and a get-well card for him. They're from the football team."

"That's lovely dear. I'm sure Shane would love that," she said with a smile. There was a small hint of sadness in her voice but I just brushed it off. I wanted to keep a light atmosphere within the room.

"Not really. I remember once, he told how much he hated flowers. We had a small argument about that. Do you remember?"

"Oh. Now that you told me, I quite do. I recall him having a tantrum when you left," Cynthia agreed. We both chuckled at the thought. "Say, how about you keep an eye on Shane while I go and grab some food?"

"Sounds great," I nodded in approval. With a smile, Cynthia departed from the hospital room, leaving me alone with Shane.

Having nothing better to do, I approached Shane's bed and began my daily update report. "Shane, you wouldn't believe what happened at school today. But I'm pretty sure that you have an idea about it, you little eavesdropper."

I giggled to myself and pinched his cheek softly. "Man, you're getting pretty thin. But don't you worry, I'll treat you to Dairy Heaven as soon as you open those beautiful eyes of yours. We'll eat all their ice cream and I won't let you go home unless we've emptied their fridge. You'll be back to your usual self in no time or maybe a little bigger especially on the belly." I poked his tummy and gave his hand a tight squeeze.

"I miss you, more than anything in the world," I whispered, wiping away a stray tear from my eyes. "Anyways, as you have heard earlier, Maya sucked at volleyball today and I was the main reason why. You should have seen her face when the ball hit her forehead. It was priceless! You should be proud of me..."

Our one-sided conversation went on until I heard a knock on the door. I turned around and saw Cynthia entering the room with a box.

"Tracy, honey, I've brought some cupcakes," she told me. My mouth watered when the sweet aroma from the pastry box reached my nose.

"Thanks, Cynthia." I took a chocolate cupcake from the box that had vanilla frosting and a plump strawberry on top. I had a huge bite out of it and my eyes widened in surprise. My taste buds were caught off guard by the sudden outburst of flavors. The cupcake was really moist that it instantly melted inside my mouth. The vanilla frosting was so silky and it complemented the chocolatey goodness of the cupcake. I took another bite and swallowed it quickly before I opened my mouth to say something. "These are heavenly, Cynthia! Where did you get them?"