Chapitre Une | You Don't Know Me. . .

C H A P T E R  O N E

 “Hey, Cameron. Did you see that new Mindless Behavior interview last night? It was hilarious,” Viveeyn said to me, next to my locker. I looked at her smiled really big. “

Yes! I did. Roc is really something else.” Viveeyn looked like she was going to bring up another point about Mindless Behavior, but then she got cut off by the boys. The boys always came up to me to make fun of me, but I really didn’t know their names. Usually they would come up to me when Viveeyn wasn’t around, but they must have felt extra bold today.

 “So, what Mindless Behavior video are you guys talking about now, huh, fag?” One of the boys snarled at me. I almost wanted to break down and cry, but I couldn't show my weak side.

“Dude, just leave Cameron alone. He ain't never done nothing to nobody.” The bullies were looking at Veveeyn like a joke.

"Aw, look. His wittle girwy has to stand up for him," one of them mocked in a baby's voice. “We’re not messing with you, so please back off.” It sounded like I was begging them almost.

 “Finally the little pussy can stand up for himself. C’mon boys. We’ll catch up with the faggot later.” Finally the boys left me alone. When I tried to find Veveeyn, she was nowhere to be found.

 *_*_*_*_*

I N T E R M I S S I O N

“Cameron, get your gay self downstairs now,” my father said his booming, deep voice. I still had my headphones in, listening to #1 Girl. That song had always had me hype. Even though I didn’t appreciate calling me - that word, I had to answer him.

“Yeah, Dad?” I asked while flying down the stairs.

“How do you explain this?” My father held my report card in his hand, pointing to my 79% in History. I usually had all good grades, but History just wasn’t my subject.

“D-d-dad, I just don’t know what’s wrong with me. I try so hard-”

 “Do you think I really want to hear that bull? Come here!”

 “Why?”

 “Come here!” My dad’s voice was scarier and more threatening than ever before. I walked over my dad - slowly but surely - and he then, WHAP! my dad hit me in the back in the head with full force. It felt like a billion sheets of sandpaper slapping me in the back of the head. Basically, the worst pain I’ve ever had.

“Did you hit me?” I asked in disbelief. My dad has never hit me, ever.

“Yeah, and what are you going to do about it, little pussy?” Ouch. Just imagine having those painful words said to you by your own blood. I had to endure those words already during school, and my father to say it also? It’s something I would have never even thought of.

I walked back upstairs in my room quietly and slowly. I grabbed my iPod and turned on Band-Aid by Mindless Behavior. I downloaded the song illegally since my dad would never dare to buy anything boy-band related. I turned it up full blast (which is pretty loud) to drown out all my other thoughts about everything. I just wanted to listen to my favorite artists in peace, interruptions uninvited.

 Tomorrow would probably be a lot worse.

I N T E R M I S S I O N   E N D

 Mindless Behavior’s voice woke me up in the morning. Lord knows I didn’t want to get up; Lord also knew I didn’t want my father to hit me again. Avoiding on dwelling on the incident, I got up and went straight to the closet. My mission was to get up and get out of the house before my father did. I picked out a normal middle-class type outfit. A polo, distressed jeans and Timberland’s should do work. I quickly slipped it on and slapped a dab of lotion on. I brushed my hair back and put oil on it. As far as I was concerned, I was ready to get the heck out of there.

 Since my house was only about two blocks away from my school, I could walk. Since I would be walking, I grabbed my iPod and was ready to  listen to Mindless Behavior’s second album. Instead of listening to a few songs, I wanted to listen to it the way through. My father wasn’t awake, so I could leave safely. Whew.

 The first song that played was All Around The World. It sounded like a new Usher & David Guetta song - not Mindless Behavior’s usual product. But hey - I wasn’t going to complain. Nine times out of ten I would love it anyway.

After a while, I had to check myself to see if I wasn’t dancing in public. I couldn’t even help it - I had to turn to Lean (Lose It) because I was in my hype mode. “She like the way I leaann.” I was singing to myself and barely even noticed it. I was in the schoolyard, which meant I couldn’t have any electronic devices or I would get them taken away until a parent got it. Which probably would never happen.

 NO ELECTRONIC DEVICES BEFORE THIS POINT, the sign read in bold letters. I sighed. That meant no more All Around The World or Keep Her on The Low. It would probably would suck, but I had Veveeyn to talk about Mindless Behavior with all day. I knew she wouldn’t mind that at all. When I saw her in the hallway, I went straight to her.

“Hey Veveeyn.” Veveeyn turned to me and smiled her beautiful, usual Kool-Aid smile.

“What’s up, Cameron?” Veveeyn leaned in to hug me, and I gladly accepted it. Maybe the rumors about me being gay would end at this.

“Nothing but the rent.” Veveeyn laughed at my old-timey joke.

“You don’t have pay rent, Cameron! You’re crazy.” Veveeyn playfully hit me in the shoulder and walked by my side as we went to class with each other. I got a couple disgusted looks, and it kind of bothered me. I’m not going to sit here and act like rumors didn’t hurt, but it’s not normal for a guy going around moaning and whining about drama. When I almost went in to class, I heard someone calling my name. At least someone knows my name other than Veveeyn. I heard my name again.

“Cameron! Cameron! Still feeling fruity?” I heard laughter behind me. I finally got the courage to shout back, 

"You don’t know me!”