Chapitre Onze | The Feeling's Mutual

C H A P T E R - E L E V E N

“Veveeyn, there’s a guy I really want you to meet! His name his Jayden, and he’s the sweetest,” I beamed to Veveeyn over the phone. Jayden, Veveeyn, and I would have been the best of friends. We all liked Mindless Behavior, and we all got each other. “You’ve made a new friend that likes Mindless Behavior? I’m literally jealous of you right now.” Every time I was close to gaining a friend, Veveeyn was happy for me. Veveeyn wasn’t hurting for friends, but every time she got one, she’d make it a whole big deal.

“Don’t be! You’ll meet him, I promise. Me and him have already made some arrangements to meet you.”

“Shut up! When?”

“You know that new smoothie shop that just opened? We were thinking about meeting there at lunch. I’m thinking you can come too, if you want.”

“You can definitely count on me showing up. Let me get dressed, and I’ll call you back when I’m about to leave. OK?”

“OK. I’ll be waiting for you. Bye.”

“Bye.” Veveeyn hung up the phone. Since she was getting all fancy to go the the smoothie store, I’d thought I’d get just as ready. Since there was already clothes hanging up on my door, I put them on. It was a striped polo, distressed jean shorts and Nikes. It wasn’t really fancy, but it was casual enough to go to a smoothie store. I brushed my teeth and hair (with different brushes) and went downstairs to wait on Jayden and Veveeyn. Knowing her, it’d be passed lunch when she was done getting dressed.

But to my surprise, I heard my doorbell ring.

Who stood there was Veveeyn. She was wearing a romper that looked like it was from Urban Outfitters, and her hair was tied up in a tight bun. Her sandals were golden, and she wore triangle earrings. She could make a gay guy go straight in a minute.

“Hey,” Veveeyn accosted simply, bowing down. She was so cute, I had to laugh at her. “Hey Veveeyn.” I reached in to hug Veveeyn, but we both went in at the same time. “Is the Jayden guy here yet? I’d love to meet him!” Veveeyn went inside to look around, but she didn’t see him.

“No. He should be here in about a minute—”

Another doorbell ring interrupted me. It must be Jayden. I opened the door to see Jayden staring back at me, us wearing the almost exact outfit. “Hey Jayden. This is my best friend, Veveeyn.” Veveeyn and Jayden shook hands. The whole interaction between the two was awkward. “So, um, why don’t we hit up the smoothie store? I think they close at like two,” I mentioned, trying to break the awkwardness. It’s always been like this when Veveeyn makes a new friend and introduces her to me. Now it’s my turn.

 The smoothie store was an extreme short distance. If you knew how to jump fences, you’d be there in seconds (everything in my city was convenient). When we approached ‘Groovy Smoothie’, I could tell Veveeyn had never been there before. “Groovy Smoothie? I thought that was only in iCarly!” I laughed at Veveeyn, but Jayden just rolled his eyes. I could tell Veveeyn noticed, because she just glared at him.

When we walked into the smoothie store, it smelled so good. It was a mixture of a pastry smell, with fruits. The menu was large, so I knew it’d be pretty hard to choose just one thing.

“Welcome to Groov-ay Smooth-ay. How may I take your order?” The cashier made sure to put extra emphasis on ‘Groovy Smoothie.’ 

“We don’t really know yet. It’s our first time—”

“Can I get a strawberry and banana smoothie, with a hint of cherry?” Jayden interrupted. Veveeyn stayed silent, but I knew she wanted to have some words for him. She hated when people interrupted her. I stayed silent, and it felt like I no longer wanted a smoothie.

“Yeah. Your total is 1.22.” Jayden handed over the money, but Veveeyn continued to stare at him. Maybe introducing them wasn’t such a great idea after all. 

“Maybe I should go find us a table? Hehe,” I said, obviously feeling awkward. 

“Yeah, I’ll follow you there.” 

Veveeyn followed me to a table, and I already knew she had a lot to say about Jayden. I knew she didn’t like him, even though she was really trying to.

“Look, I’m really trying to like your friend Jayden, honestly. It’s just that he’s doing everything I hate. He interrupted me, rolled his eyes at me, the whole nine. I don’t even remember what I did to him, but for some reason, it’s like he’s not even attempting to like me or get to know me.”

“I’m under the impression that he doesn’t like to share friends. But I’ll talk to him about it, and see what’s up. I found it weird too that he’s acting that way towards you.” Just as we were talking about him, Jayden showed up. He had two smoothies in his hand.

“I’m not sure what you liked, so I just bought you grape and strawberry.” Jayden handed me a smoothie that looks disgusting, but I didn’t comment on it.

“How come didn’t bring Veveeyn a smoothie?” I wondered aloud. Veveeyn rolled her eyes and mouthed ‘what did you expect?’ 

“I don’t know what her type likes.”

“What is that supposed to mean?” Veveeyn interjected, defensively. Her whole face turned red. 

“It means that I don’t know what your type of people like.” I was confused just like Veveeyn was.

“Are you bringing race is the picture? Because if you are, I’m black just like you.”

“Oh hoh hoh. You’re obviously mixed.”

“Why does it even matter, Jayden? You don’t like people judging you because you’re gay, so why would you judge someone on something they can’t control? That doesn’t make sense. I actually thought you were a pretty nice dude, but if you judge people on race—even though they’re half black like you want them to be—you’re not as cool as I thought you were.”