Part 10

Skinner stood on a branch in the tree tops far above a puddle. He stared down at the water, his legs trembling. "Are you going to jump or what? I haven't got all day!" Alivia  yelled to him. She was hovering across from him with her arms folded. Alivia was getting bored just watching Skinner stare at the water below. "It will be fine, even if you don't catch yourself, you will fall into the puddle." Skinner still seemed hesitant. He looked at her, then looked at the water, then looked at her again. "UGH!" Alivia groaned. She quickly flew behind Skinner and pushed him off the branch.

     Mr. Skinner screamed as he fell, curled into a ball, and squeezed his eyes tight. Then something clicked. Some instinct inside of him made him spread out his body like a starfish and open his eyes. Skinner's wings spread out and began to twitch. Soon enough, Mr. Skinner's wings were flapping like Alivia's, and he stopped in mid air. A smile crept onto Skinner's face and he started laughing. This was a feeling he had never felt before, it was indescribable. Mr. Skinner flew back up to Alivia. "Well thank God that worked. You were looking rough there for a second, but you came through at the last moment. I thought you were actually going to fall into the pond of death." she said. "The pond of what?" Skinner asked. "If you wouldn't have caught yourself at the last moment, you surly would have died. Oh, I should explain. Once a fairy's wings are fully developed we take them here, where either instinct kicks in, or they fall to their deaths. But don't worry! Only a few people die each year from falling off, I wasn't trying to kill you." Alivia explained.

"What!? How could you push me off!? I could have died!"

"Skinner... you're scaring me. Your voice is angry, but your face is smiling..."

"Oh, I just can't stay angry at you! Flying is so amazing! What a fool I was, clinging to the Earth like some kind of loser!" Skinner said, gleefully. "Okay... lets go back to the main platform." Alivia suggested.

     Skinner and Alivia sat on the edge of the platform with their legs hanging over. "So, tell me about this witch. How do I get to her?" Skinner queried. "Okay. So, she is rumored to live in The Caves of Anime. A dreadful place located at the top of mount Unclear Perception Of Reality." said Alivia. "That's an odd name for a mountain." Skinner cut in. "It doesn't seem like an odd name to me, but I guess I never considered it..." Alivia paused for a moment before continuing. "Anyway, the mountain is over there." She pointed East to a mountain range. "Mount Unclear Perception of Reality is the one that towers above all the rest. It gets a bit chilly near the top, so you should probably bring some clothing that is more suitable for cold weather." Alivia explained. "I have a cardigan, it will be fine." Skinner said, gesturing to the sweater tied around his waist. "Okay... but you won't be able to make before nightfall today. You should stay here for the night and leave first thing in the morning. Pack any food that you might need for your trip tonight." Alivia advised