Wake Me Up

I woke up with a gasp, breathing hard, eagerly sucking in air, as I lay on the beach by Jacob. He looked relieved and I heard Embry yell, "Is everything okay down there?"

I tried to talk but my throat was on fire and it came out like a croak. Jacob yelled, "Yeah, everything's fine. Come down and take her home."

He stood up from his crouch and stalked into the woods, already shaking. I rolled my eyes, just as Embry came down from the cliff. He sat down beside me, brushing hair off my face, and said, "Are you okay? Where'd Jake go?"

I shrugged. He said, "C'mon, let's get you home."

He stood up and scooped me into his arms, and I reveled in his warmth. I scooted closer into his chest and laid my head against, while he held me closer. I croaked out, "I really hope you find your imprint, Embry."

Embry looked at me, concerned. "What do you mean?"

I attempted to clear my throat. "You could be wasting all this time with me, when she could be out there, somewhere waiting for you."

He shook his head. "If you need me, she can wait a little longer."

I rolled my eyes and listened to his steady heartbeat as he walked back to my house. The silence was nice, there was nothing to be said. As he lowered his head to duck into the house, he carefully lowered me down.

Emily called out, "Is that you, Dan?"

I walked into the kitchen, Embry in tow, as Emily was cooking something in a pot. She said, "I have something to tell you."

I eyed her suspiciously. She exclaimed, "I'm pregnant!"

My face lit up. I grabbed her and hugged her, vice tight. Embry said lightheartedly, "That's great, Emily, I'm so happy for you."

She smiled from ear to ear. She clucked motherly, "Now go on and get dressed. You guys are soaked."

I raised my hands in defeat and trumped up the stairs, closely followed by Embry. I opened the door to my room, and walked over to my closest. I grabbed a pair of sweatpants and an old track t-shirt. As I was walking over to my dresser, Embry said, "So Emily's pregnant."

I joked, "What, I had no idea. What could make you think that?"

He rolled his eyes. "I'm serious. What if I never imprint on someone?"

I looked at him. "Em, you know imprinting doesn't always happen. Trust me, it's not the best thing in the world. You're a hot piece of dude, you'll find someone. If I wasn't so entangled with Jake, I'd be all over you."

He grinned. "I'll be sure to tell Jake that."

I glared at him. "Don't you dare, you ignorant swine."

Embry chuckled. "There's a party tonight, at this guy Eric's house. Want to go with me?"

I grinned wickedly. "A party sounds just what I need."

***

Two hours later, we were at the party. Embry shouted over the music, "I'll go grab you another drink."

I nodded and he disappeared into the crowd, as I danced to the music, and as quickly as he'd disappeared, someone appeared behind me, dancing up against me. I smiled politely and shook my head and he too disappeared into the crowd.

I looked around for Embry, still dancing to the music, when he appeared at my elbow, a drink in his hand. I smelled it and the bitter smell of alcohol greeted my nose. I grinned and chugged it down in one gulp. I said, "Let's dance."

His eyes widened but he conceded anyways. We both moved to the beat of the music, and he spun me around, only to quickly pull me back in and put his hands back at my waist. I could feel the heat of his hands through my light, tunic style shirt, and my black high-rise shorts.

I felt so good. I said this to Embry, who merely chuckled. "Maybe it's time to take you home. It's pretty late."

I checked my phone. I had 20 text messages from Jacob, and a missed call from Paul. I nodded in agreement and he wrapped his hand in mine, and dragged me outside of the house. He kept my hand as we walked back towards Emily's a short distance away from the party. Embry said, "You're drunk."

I eyed him suspiciously. "You were content to give me drink after drink."

He shrugged. "I don't know what you're twill long about."

I laughed loudly as we walked up the creaky porch into Emily's. The lights were all on and Jacob was sitting in the big chair, watching us, glaring. He sprang up and marched up over to us. He yelled, "Where the hell were you?"

I looked at him, amused. "We were at a party."

He looked at me, confused. "Are you drunk?"

Embry said, "Just a tad."

I giggled. Jake rolled his eyes. Embry scooped me up and said to Jake, "I'm just going to take her upstairs."

Jacob said, "I'll come with."

Embry brought me up the stairs, shoving my door open with his elbow. He gently placed me on my bed when he got a phone call. He answered, "Hey, Mom. No, I'm at Emily's. No, Mom, listen. Fine."

He hung up the phone. "I gotta go home. My mom's going to kill me."

Jacob said, "Don't worry, I'll watch her."

I glared at him. "I'm not a child who needs to be watched."

Embry ran out of the door, before anything could escalate. Jake said, "Just lay down and go to sleep."

He laid on the bed next to me, not even touching me. I snuggled up closer to him. I said sleepily, "This doesn't mean anything, I'm just tired and I miss you."

He nodded. "Okay, Dan, whatever you want."

He kissed my forehead, and I closed my eyes, already asleep.