Chapter 5

Author's Note:  This chapter may be boring and uneventful but essential to the story.  Thank you for giving it a chance.

I stood there in my place, seething.  It would have been better if she just left me alone like she always does.  She was ever the absent parent in my life.  Even though my grandfather raised me, I was mostly in the care of the household staff.  I knew and memorized all their faces.  I know their names by heart.  It fascinated me that in the midst of their poverty they were genuinely happy.   I wanted that in my life.  That is why I decided to live like them, to toil like them.  I know there was no need since I inherited Worthington Financial Holdings.  The university where I work was the legacy my grandfather left for the dedicated educators in Wellsworth.  The staff, they too were sworn to secrecy.  They never understood why I wanted to do it, they probably never will.

“I have come to realize your annual charity ball is slated in 2 weeks and I wish to use this event to announce your engagement to Calixta.”  My mother said, breaking my thoughts.  I still have not turned from when she said my name.  My hands were balled in a fist as I was trying to hold my anger.  How could she treat me like an imbecile, a child. She does not even know what I want and yet she controls me like one of her puppets.   I turned and looked at her, as she was walking towards me.  “This marriage is important to the company and you will do as I say.”  She glanced at Calixta who was still seated.  I glared at her and said, “And what if I don’t marry her?” 

Making an unladylike snort before breaking into a full on devious laugh she answered, “I would simply close down all your charities.”

Ever since I took over Worthington Financial Holdings at the age of 21, I supported a lot of charities.  I initiated the various scholarship programs .The cancer wing of St. Elizabeth Children’s Hospital just a few miles off Samua was my favorite place.  Those defenseless children fighting a losing battle to cancer is closest to my heart.  I have financed several researches to find a cure for cancer.  But in its continuous process, I find, that time was more valuable and irreplaceable.  Time, that not many are willing to give them.  Just to see them smiling even in the face of pain has strengthened my resolve to live a life with a purpose and to fill the void that has filled my heart and soul for years.  I cannot lose these charities and I will not fail them. There has to be another way.

“That is a low blow, mother.  Don’t you dare use them as pawns to your wicked games.  I will never allow it.  I swear that I will defy you at every turn and you will never gain my respect.  How could you!!”  I shouted.  My body was shaking.  I have to get out of here.  “Don’t do this mother or help me God, you will regret posing this challenge on me.  I will NOT let you walk over other peoples’ lives.  That is a solemn promise.”  I walked as fast as my feet could carry me.  I cannot lose.  I will never lose.

*****

 Ka’to was waiting for me at the driveway of the hotel.  He cautiously opened the door as I stepped into the car.  As he sat on the driver’s seat, he threw me a concerned look.  “I take it that your meeting did not go well, Master.”  I sighed deeply and shook my head, not knowing how to explain.  He nods and drives me home to my apartment.

“I will need you to contact my team of lawyers and set up a meeting as soon as possible.  I need some valuable answers.  My mother will stop at nothing to get what she wants and I am going to fight her tooth and nail.”  Ka’to bows and said “Will do so, Master.”