Chapter 16

Lathan was trying to get into terms with the fact that Cerise needed the space.  He understood that but another day of not seeing her is making his way to Bedlam quicker.  He was going nuts.  It had only been 2 days that felt like an eternity.  On the day, she left the hospital, he scoped everywhere he thought she was going to be.  Most of the time, he would spend hours on end almost camping out in the driveway of her home.  Even Rodin was not around and didn’t come home.  It was a semester break so they most probably were vacationing with family.  Day 3 begins with him hanging out at Studebaker’s with Analia, twisting her arm to spill on her bestfriend’s whereabouts.

“Analia,  I beg you.  I’ll give you a weekend holiday in a destination of your choice in my private jet; just tell me where she is.  I won’t bother her; I just need to know she’s well.  I’m going crazy here. Please!”

“Though I find you bribing me a little insulting, I am telling you an honest to goodness truth.  I don’t know where she is exactly.  All I know is she is on vacation with her dad not too far from here.  And will you STOP pacing! Geez, lover boy get your act together.  Don’t you have like a phone tracker app, GPS thingy on your phone to locate her? ”

Lathan sat on the bar stool facing her as she was stowing some carafes.  “I do but I don’t want to invade her personal space.  She won’t like it.  But can you blame me?  I am head over effing heels in love with her.  I need her like air to breathe.  I’m in perpetual darkness without her in my life.”

“Getting beat up for you is one hell of a sacrifice, Lath.  I know she loves you too.  Just give her time.  Here, take this.”  Analia handed him a tall glass that looked like a machiatto.  Lathan raised a lone eyebrow taking the glass.

“You think caffeine is going to solve my problem?” He said, laced with sarcasm.

“It’s a machiatto alright, laced with Kahlua.  I think you need a booze.”

*****

“Have you found her Ka’to?”  Valeria waited for his reply, her back to him.

“Yes, madam.  She is vacationing with her father in Arcadia not very far from here about 98 miles.”

“Near and yet so far.  I’m surprised that Lathan has not sought her out after her accident.”  Valeria stood to face Ka’to.

“Master Lathan, is giving her time to recover from her injuries.  He cares for her that he decided it’s best to give her the peace she craves.  It has been a rough few days for them, if I may say so.”

“I see.  I need you to take me to her.  Arrange it so we can leave sooner.”

A torn expression was pasted on her son’s loyal assistant.  Lathan treated him more like a friend and older brother than a servant.

“Rest easy, Ka’to.  Did you think I would betray Lathan’s trust in you?  You should know me more that I am not the enemy here. ”