Chapter 19

Recap:

Valeria and Cerise were getting along just fine.  They enjoyed a quiet dinner where Valeria arranged for a reunion of the couple she thought were clearly in love with each other.  She could not have been happier.  It was a “Mea Culpa” on her part but it was never too late to make things right between her and Lathan.  The time they had at the beach seemed magical and a reaffirmation of the intensity of the love they share.  There was no denying where they were headed.  But things took a downturn when Cerise, the morning after, received a threat that could make or break the fragile relationship she has with Lathan.  

“Honey, what’s wrong?” Rodin’s eyes grew wide like saucers at the sight of the wilted flowers on the bed.  He did not waste time and enveloped his daughter in the comfort of his protective arms.

 “Shhh, I got you, squirt.”  Grabbing the piece of paper it dawned on him how serious the threat was.  In his opinion it was a low blow. His daughter had no known enemies.  She was a sweet girl like her mama who was like a ray of sunshine to anybody who needed help.  She was a simple girl with simple dreams.

The sound of the motorcycle tire screeching brought his attention back to Cerise who was murmuring incoherently about ending something.  Moments later the bedroom door crashed in its hinges revealing a distraught Lathan who was clearly disheveled from the speed to get here.  Rodin’s quick reflexes had him dialing Lathan’s number upon hearing Cerise’s terrified scream.

Cerise’s incessant and pained crying tore at Lathan’s heart.  Rodin released his hold on his daughter so Lathan could take his place.  He knew what his daughter needed and Lathan Worthington more than rose to the occasion; he spared no moment to be here to comfort her.  Lathan shifted her to sit on his lap as he rested his back on the headboard. Cerise cried silently into his chest, pouring out all the hurt and fear.  He eyed the box with the wilted flowers in disarray at their feet.  He knew why his angel was distressed.  Rodin sat on the bean bag waiting for Cerise to calm down.

“Angel, shhh I’m here.  I got you. I’m here.”  Lathan cooed as he looked into the eyes of Rodin; a silent plea to be left alone with her.  Rodin reluctantly complied and headed out.  He will get his answers once everyone has calmed down.

“Wh-what are you doing he—here?  H- how did you know?”  Cerise was heaving from her violent sobs.

“I was already on my way to see you, angel.  I felt my phone vibrate several times and it got me so worried.   So I stopped to check hoping it was you.  I heard your dad’s panic stricken voice on the line so I milled my way here as fast as I could.  Angel, I promise to take care of you.  This could all be just some sick prank but I am not taking any chances.  You are coming to stay with me.  No questions. Your dad can come with us too.  I’ll just…. Just trust me to deal with this okay?”

“Who would do such a thing, Lath? All my life I had never hurt anybody nor even try to do so.  I didn’t know it was going to be this complicated to have you in my life.  I can’t risk it.  Not when my dad is also in danger of getting hurt.”  She pushed against his chest and walked towards the window hugging herself.  She didn’t want to see the hurt in Lathan’s eyes when she expressed her fears and her wish. 

“We can’t be that selfish to forsake everyone around us.  This relationship is not going to work. It was already so wrong in certain levels.  I don’t belong to your world Lathan.”  Tension palpated in the silence.