Chapter 17

"Uhhmmm, Valeria, I think you are going the wrong way. You just missed the turn to my house." Cerise said as she sat at the back seat of the most comfortable high class car she has ever been into, a sleek deep mahogany Bentley Mulsanne Sedan. Her dad practically drooled from where he was standing. He relented to Valeria's plea into taking her back home in her car. Like Cerise, he was also wary about the whole epiphany thing. Cerise never kept secrets from her father. He knew everything. And with that trust, he reciprocated; and that is one thing she has no plans of ever messing with. Trust is a valuable chip in any relationship. The same trust that she felt Lathan had selflessly given her by allowing her to retreat and think things through. She was almost sure he is constantly worried about her, by way of the text messages he somehow sends her way whenever she turns on her mobile phone. Messages of nearly a hundred would flow and that would bring a smile on her face and a sense of deep longing to be with him that very moment. It's so surreal to feel so loved and cherished. She hoped deep in her heart that things would work out, now that Valeria had decided to bridge the gap and bring us all closer. It was very heartwarming. She just hopes Calixta can just 'man up' and accept that what she and Lathan have, is real and true.

Valeria didn't say anything in her defense. Surprisingly, all she did was to take Cerise's hand and squeezed gently. Cerise stared at their conjoined hands and looked up to see Valeria, who was known to the world as the "iron lady," has her eyes looking out the window with a knowing smile. She squeezed her hand back, a silent communiqué of thanks.

Arcadia was a 98 mile drive which took about 2-3 hours give or take. Because of the car's remarkable suspension, it was as comfortable as if you have not even travelled at all. Before her eyes could blink from the view of the spectacular greenery, the iron clad entrance to The Milton came into view. She knew The Milton to be a favorite hideaway among the eloquent sector of society. She has only known Milton, the hotel where her nightmare happened. This place was more like an exclusive country club like those she sees on television, a place like The Hampton's. She was definitely freaking out now like Oh My God! This place is ace. Like wow!! She said to herself.

They pulled over the extensive driveway with a Victorian water fountain at the main entrance. She had to practically drag her feet out of the car and follow Valeria as she exited the vehicle. Valeria had to reach out for her.

"Come. You and I my dear Cerise are going to have some mother-daughter bonding. Close your mouth, my dear. Its un-lady like to drool. Don't look so awestruck." Valeria tipped her chin up.

"I was so not drooling, Valeria." Cerise defended. Or was I? Geez. This is so out of bounds. "What are we doing here? I don't belong here. Can you just take me home?" She pleaded. She was scared shitless about how things are just moving too fast. Way too fast for her liking. Sure she wants to get to know the woman behind that cold facade. But this was just not her world.

Valeria turned abruptly to face her. With a deep sigh she explained. "Do you want to see Lathan? Don't give me that excuse that you don't miss him. You seem to have aged a little bit. I just want you to be at your best when we sit down for dinner this evening. He has no idea that I came to fetch you. I wanted it to be a surprise. But if you're not comfortable, we could just call off the whole thing and..."

"Alright, alright! You had me at just the mention of seeing him. Geez you are so good at manipulating. Gawd!" Cerise rolled her eyes in exasperation. But she won't lie in saying that her heart skipped a beat at the thought of seeing Lathan after 1 whole week of not seeing him, touching him or even kissing him. The last thought warmed her insides and turned her legs into gel.