Chapter 13

“Kato? Can you please get Dr. Cayman to come here at the complex.  I don’t care what he’s doing, just get him here asap.” Lathan said as he ran his hand through his already disheveled hair.  He had to make sure Cerise is checked out for the sake of his sanity.

“Is everything ok, Master?”  Ka’to was already pulling out of the driveway off the complex to get the good doctor.

“I’m not sure. It’s Cerise.  She doesn’t look good.  She’s sporting a nasty bruise on her cheek and a busted lip.  Something happened but I’ll deal with it later.  The race is about to start, just get him here fast Ka’to and let me know if you’re nearby.”

“Will do, Sir.”  Ka’to let out a deep sigh and can’t help but feel concerned.

*****

“Swimmers, on your mark!” 

Let’s do this.  I can’t lose.  I’ve gone this far.  Cerise was taking deep breaths getting ready.

BANG!  Then she dove gracefully into the water.  She zoned out, giving her full concentration on the task at hand.  She can feel her shoulder burning but willed the pain to go away.  She stroked and stroked like her very life depended on it.  Thoughts of her mom cheering her on and Lathan’s smile helped her to focus.  She thought of how thankful she is to have her dad play both roles to her, supporting her in everything.  She also thought if she could have a future with Lathan.  He was a lot to take on at the moment.  There were just too many people who are standing in their way. C’mon shoulder please don’t let me down.  God it hurts.  It hurts.

 By the last lap, she was getting exhausted, only because the pain was already progressing.  She felt like her shoulder was going to come off the socket.  Even then, she still went on.  Voices and shouts were slowly rising into her consciousness.  She was going to finish this no matter what, win or lose she was going to finish this.

“Rodin!  Something’s wrong with Cerise, she’s slowing down.”

“Carson in lane 3 in the lead, followed by Morrigan in lane 8, Perez lane 4 on third, Baxter lane 5 following closely on fourth.  Morrigan seems to be slowing down but still gaining close distance to Carson.  Carson…Morrigan…Carson aaannnd It’s Carson winning 1st place, Morrigan in second and Perez for 3rd place.  What a close call, but wait, something’s wrong with Morrigan.”  

Everything became chaotic.  Cerise didn’t come out of the water.  She hung her left arm on the edge and it slid down, like the last time, she slowly sunk underwater.  Lathan didn’t give it a second thought.  He dove into the pool and scooped up an unconscious Cerise.

“Master, Dr. Cayman is here.”  Ka’to knelt and leaned forward and Rodin followed suit to take Cerise from Lathan.

“Dr. Cayman please, why did she pass out?”  A frantic Lathan came out of the pool and knelt beside Cerise, holding her hand.

“I’m not entirely sure but it would be best to take her to the hospital.  I suspect a tearing of her rotator cuff.  What happened to her face?  There appears to have some bruising in her shoulder particularly the right where her injury is.  I’ll be able to manage it better back at the hospital.  I need to take x-rays.”