Chapter Eight: Can't Help Falling In Love

*Dan's POV*

Elvis Presley is a genius.

Like, seriously. The way his music pulls people and ideas and stories together is just...magical. Elvis Presley, along with Fall Out Boy and My Chemical Romance, was a huge inspiration to my awfully sentimental heart.

Also, "Can't Help Falling in Love" is just....hm.

It's so Phil, I guess. Every lyric, every note, every pitch. The entire song just seems to radiate Phil. The damn song seems to run through my head 24/7, mixing with the soundtrack of my life: Phil's laugh.

New Year's Day was no different.

I had been invited to some huge party in downtown London at one of the clubs, and of course Phil and Joss we're going to tag along. It was pretty amusing, actually, to watch the two of them get ready to go clubbing. Phil and Joss had become quite fond of each other, and neither was holding back on the fashion advice.

"Joss, no offense, but you look like a whore." Phil said honestly when Joss stepped out of my room (which I'd agreed to let her use as a dressing room). She was dressed head-to-toe in gold: a tight gold and black dress, gold heels pointy enough to stab someone's eye out, and a gold hair thing clipped her hair back. She looked absolutely gorgeous, but Phil was right: no sister of mine was going out in a dress that tight.

"Yeah, that's not gonna happen." I shake my head. "Change."

"But Dan!" She whines. "You bought me the fake I.D and everything; this is the only event I'll ever get to wear this dress to!" Joss glares at Phil. "At least I'm not dressed like him!"

"What?" Phil holds out his arms. "I look fine!"

Yes, Phil. Fine indeed.

"Phil, the point of New Year's is to celebrate another year of not killing yourself from the anxiety and stress of life, and then get laid. And no one wants to get laid by a guy in jeans and a blue plaid shirt." Joss said with an eye roll.

I bite my tongue.

"Hey, blue plaid is in style!" Phil says. "At least I don't spend my money on leather shirts!"

"For the last time, I bought it IRONICALLY!" I shout at Joss. "Stop telling people about it."

"Let me wear this dress for just one night, or I'll tell everyone about that one shirt you bought at Hot Topic." Joss says with her trademark Howell smirk, the one I see every day when I look in the mirror.

"I-I didn't know we were in the woman's section." I stutter, ignoring Phil's chuckle. "Fine, wear the stupid dress. But if you get pregnant..."

"Dan, I promise I won't do anything stupid."

I exhale. "Thank you."

"It's doesn't matter, though. I'm on birth control."

"What?" I shriek. "Why? Who? Do you do...it...a lot? Never mind, I don't...Jocelyn Howell, there are some things you don't share with your older brother, and that is one of them!"

Joss giggles and kisses me on the cheek, her brown eyes lighting up in amusement. "I'm only kidding, brother. And since i don't think I'll be changing either of your fashion choices for tonight, why don't we just get going?"

"Uh, have you seen the state of my hair?" I gesture to the curly monstrosity that is my life. "Sorry, sis, we might have to wait another hour or so." Phil nods, obviously assessing all the curls he'll have to help me straighten.

Joss rolls her eyes. "I guess that's the only problem to having a gay brother: he takes longer than you to get ready."

I hit her with my straightener. "Shut up."