Defiance

Batman, why oh why did it have to be Batman, I thought. I looked around the room. It was the entrance hall. As I looked around, I noticed Robin in the corner. I focused my attention on him, deciding that he was better to look at then tall, dark, and depressing over there.

"You deliberately disobeyed the League," Batman said, his deep voice filled the room.

"She was in Gotham, at her old house," Nabu tattled.

"I have no idea what your talking about," I said in response. I'm not sure which infuriated Batsy more, the fact that I snuck off or the fact that I just blatantly lied to him.

"You disobeyed direct orders and went to them! Of all the stupid things to do..." He started. I shifted my steely gaze to Batman.

"Orders? What orders?! Last I checked I was not ordered. Secondly, is it stupid to look at and miss your own family?" I was absolutely furious.

"It is stupid when you go around the block. Imagine, a dead girl walking around the block. You could have blown your cover!" He yelled in response to my retort.

"Cover? What cover? I'm a dead girl, super genius. Last I checked everyone I know thinks I'm dead! I have no cover because I have no identity!" Robin looked like he might faint. I don't think anyone's had a conversation like this with Batman in a long time, if ever. It was at this point that I began to wonder if I should stop digging my grave. Batman's eyes glared at me. It felt like he was trying to drag my soul out of my very body. He gave me a stern look.

"You are not leave without the League's permission..." he began.

"SHUT UP!" I yelled running to the nearest portal to another room. It brought me to the roof. Fortunate for me, there was nothing up there; it would have ended up in pieces. I didn't need to get in more trouble then I almost undoubtedly was. I screamed in frustration. All I wanted was a normal life. Was that too much to ask?

I never asked for any of this. Powers, being Dr. Fate's apprentice, being in this stupid tower, any of it.

I wish they hadn't saved me! I thought. Wow, that was a scary thought. About three years ago, the League had arrived at the scene of a gunfight. Four bodies were on the ground; they belonged to the members of two rival gangs. On the side of the scene, lay a dying girl who looked about thirteen. She had been walking home from a friend's house when the two gangs had picked up the fight and she had been caught up in the crossfire. Dr. Fate, whose host at the time was Kent Nelson, had healed the girl's wound. Unfortunately, that wasn't enough to save the defenseless girl from death's cold grip; she had already lost too much blood. The only way to save her life was to give part of Nabu's power to her. So he did. She had the potential and affinity for magic. That girl was me. That girl was Calista Moore. Unfortunately, the gift came with a condition. They couldn't know that I exist. By the time I had woken up from all that had happened, the authorities already assumed me dead.

I quaked with anger. I didn't even realize I felt like that until that thought had crossed my mind. Right then and there I decided that I wouldn't let them keep me here. Never again would I let them lock me away. This ends now.