A Cold Day in December Chapter Eleven

 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Picture of Eriol on the side XD

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Eleven

MISERY LOVES COMPANY

“Are you two crazy?! Grounded for life huh?” I laughed sarcastically while glaring at my parents. “What does that even mean?!” I slumped on the couch and crossed my arms, hatred boiling up inside me uncontrollably.

My father sighed and massaged his temples, obviously in an attempt to avoid answering my question. It was all too visible for me to see that they must’ve aged ten years during my short absence. I guess rummaging through their child’s stuff did the somewhat gross transformation. Anyhow, I knew better not to torment them with that kind of knowledge, though the prospect was really overwhelmingly tempting.

“It means freezing your bank account, driving you to and from school and having curfews,” my mom enumerated coldly. I met her hawk-like eyes, assessing me as if I was a piece of meat.

“You can’t do that!” I said with authority, although I was perturbed by the thought of getting broke and being treated like an elementary student. I was shaken to the bones seeing that they didn’t even flinch with my threat.

“Of course we could, honey. We have all the right over you ‘til your emancipation,” my mother smirked brutally. “Right, Luke?” She nudged my dad who just nodded in agreement. “Now let me ask you again, why are you doing this? I thought this is what you like? We didn’t fly here for you to have a huge relapse!”

I tore my gaze away from that woman and directed it to my dad who was cradling his head with both hands. “Stop her dad!” I begged, verging on desperation. Finally, with much labored movements, my dad looked up and spoke.

“She’s right Eriol.” I was stunned, but that didn’t stop him from supporting my mom. “You gotta stop this rebellion or whatever this is. If you would just tell us what it is that’s pushing you to act like this, we might be able to help you,” he pleaded.  I was tempted to spill the beans, but at the back of my mind, there was this little voice telling me that opening up to them would just lead to complications any of us couldn’t afford to handle.  I couldn’t relent. Or maybe I was just scared shit of letting them know of my messed- up life. Either way, I needed to keep them in the dark for as long as I could, that I was extremely sure of.

“Fine. Take the pills and ground me forever. Do whatever pleases you, I don’t give a damn.” With that being said, I stood up and marched to my room. “Good night.”

Before I could walk past them, my mom hindered me from moving further. “We’re not done yet,” she said through hard clenched teeth.

My shoulders sagged at their own accord. It took me a large breath to bring myself to speak. “I’m already tired from school, I want to sleep.”

“I said we’re not done yet.” Her voice was high pitched, and I knew the second I heard it that she was holding back a rage of her own. The feeling was exclusively mutual. I retraced my steps and plopped down on the couch with a little bounce. “You didn’t answer my question,” she persisted. “I want answers now or else…” And there was that mischievous smirk cascading her face.

“Or else what?!” I raised an eyebrow and hid my worry underneath a mask of frustration and annoyance.

“Or else we’ll have to take a thorough inspection of these.” She grabbed something from behind her and placed them on her lap. My heart pounded in an instant, breaking into a cold sweat. I couldn’t believe it. How could she do something like that?