-Chapter 24-

Paul is the only other member of our group that is there already, other than Kane. Kane has an LR-5 in his hand, most likely searching the News for more stories about our symbol. Paul looks up, and waves me over. He too has an LR-5, and he opens up and article for me to read.

  Social Gathering a Success for More Than One Party

  By Julianne Morritz, Head Of News 674

  As we all have seen, the Social Gathering that took place last night had a record number of attendants. The Government was slightly distraught though, when they discovered that not all the attendants were there to enjoy glasses of champagne and the impeccable cuisine. We have all seen the pictures that have been flying across the News of a symbol that was painted near the Governor's office. Some research has been done, and all the theories have been put to rest.

  This symbol as seen in the image above is the symbol of a very elusive group called the Year Movement. The Government has tried to hide details pertaining to this rebel group for many years, knowing that they pose a threat. Although details are hard to come by, I have gathered that the Year Movement's main purpose is to abolish the Year Achievements.

  This has caused a stir for more than just that, though. The supposed leader- Kane Porter- is also supposedly dead. At the moment, many people are protesting. People just don't want to believe that Kane Porter is dead yet. I myself went to the rubble and saw it. No one could have survived the explosion, no matter who they are.

  The Government will take action if any more protests break out. Don't let a silly symbol fool you. The Year Achievements are what ensure our well-being and safety. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. For more information on last night's Social Gathering, please read the following article.

  I look up, surprised to see that the other men have joined us, and everyone is looking at me. I am in shock that people would believe an article such as this, but then again, a decade ago, I would have too. Kane clears his throat, and we all turn to look at him.

  "Last night was a success," He says, and I know he is trying to reassure us. "But now we really do need to stay under the radar. The fact that even one person-let alone hundreds-believe I am alive, proves that. We can't risk going out there for a good long while. So get cozy boys. It's going to be awhile before you can show your mugs to the world again."

  Some people laugh, but I don't. None of this humors me in the least. We are all in serious danger, and one little slip up could cost us all more than we have bargained for. Kane slides past his metal table and comes to stand next to me.

  "Did you read the Julianne Morittz article?" He asks, crossing his arms over his chest. I try to imagine someone like him losing his life to a bomb that was planted at his own hideout, and I can't see it. Anyone else in this room, but not Kane. Maybe that's why people are not convinced. They just have faith in Kane.

  "Yes," I say, my voice sounding thin. "I am starting to worry."

  Kane nods, his mouth curving into a sad smile. The room erupts in shouts from the men as they read News articles off of the LR-5, and I sigh. Even if I have some respect for these rebels and their cause, I don't always agree with the way they approach things.

  "Don't worry too much," Charlie says. "Kane did, and it gave him wrinkles at the ripe old age of sixteen." I know it's a joke, but I can't help but look and see if he's serious. Kane gives me a surprised look, and I laugh. Nope, no wrinkles.

  "I think you are confusing dimples and charm with wrinkles and old age," Kane says matter-of-factly, and Charlie grins, slapping his hand on Kane's shoulder. I again feel envious of their friendship; the one thing I didn't have growing up. No matter how many times I tried to talk to kids my age, I was rejected. So-because of that-I was always around my parents and Paul, and we became a pretty close family for a while. That made leaving them so much harder.