The Man in the Mirror

I drove around the street for a few minutes, looking for somewhere to park. The sky was a deep blue and as I drove in my black car around the small street for the third time, the street lights switched on; their glaring yellowness irritating me.

My hands began to twitch and my foot tapped on the floor of my car. That horrible yellow, I hate it, I hate it! The last time I did this, the room was yellow. The walls seemed to close in on me that day, I hate the colour yellow! Why is there nowhere to park, I have to get away from these yellow lights!

At last I could stand it no longer; why was there nowhere to park? Why were the lights so bright? A cry of rage escaped my mouth, and my hand slammed involuntarily down on the steering wheel, sending a blast of sound from the horn that filled and startled the quiet street. I jumped and slammed the accelerate pedal on the car just as a light switched on in a house. Someone wanted to know who was disturbing their street; but I can't let them see that.

I parked in the next street over and walked calmly back to the house, taking deep breaths. It looked different in real life to how I remembered it from 'Google Earth'. How many more people would I have to take before we were finally quits? I fumbled to find the right key. How does he even get them made anyway; does he know all of these people? I have so many keys now; one for every house, every person, every murder...

As I walked in, my ears pricked like a cat and my heart began to thump. There was something in this house that shouldn't be here.

"Hello?" I called out in a strangled voice, fear seeping into my bones.

Silence greeted me.

"Who is this?" I asked to the air. I backed up against the front door. Whatever this thing was, it was getting closer. What would I do?

With my back still against the wall, I sidled along until I reached a door which I opened and entered. It was there that I really got scared. There was a man sleeping on the sofa, it was Matt. That's okay, Matt can stay here, but what was that shadow that I could see at the end of the room? Glass in a frame, but what else?

It wasn't clear what it was until I stepped forward and I could see it better. Only now I realised that this was not 'it'; this was a person. I stood and stared for a few seconds, my face and body frozen in fear. The person seemed to be frozen too. This person was dangerous, this person was evil, this person was a killer; a cold blooded killer. I know this person very well.

"I'm sorry," I said, but the person stayed silent and still. Their lips moved and their face showed the anguish of an invisible weight on their back, but still nothing happened.

Then, I watched as the person walked over to Matt. I shook my head as the person, the killer, pulled out a gun. My mouth went dry as the killer pushed it towards the head of the sleeping man. I wanted to scream or call someone, but I couldn't. The killer was too strong, there was no point in doing anything. My hands and knees shook in unison. I had to get back to my car and get away. Why had I parked so far away from the street, how stupid!

I didn't scream as the killer fired the shot; the shot that killed Matt. I watched the drip, drip, drip of blood running down Matt's lolling head and collecting on the carpet. I took a step backwards, would they have my DNA in here? Why didn't I bring gloves, it was a cold night and would not have looked suspicious.

The killer turned to me and I stared; I just stared until I could take it no longer. Then I walked across the room and shattered the huge mirror. The killer was finally gone.