twenty-three

Three hours. That's how long Cassius had sat outside the church debating on if he should go inside or wait until service was over. He has flicked the radio on and off countless times just looking for something to do, he tapped his fingers on the steering wheel and sang lowly under his breath to made up songs in his head. Finally people started to exit out of the building.

He started to sweat when he realized he was going to see Riley. That's where the problem was. He hadn't thought this plan all the way through. He's here, he sees her, now what's next? He can't possibly walk up to her and start a conversation. Or can he? She might go off and start cursing him out like she didn't just walk out of church fifteen minutes ago.

Cassius started out the front window, squinting his eyes at the crowds of people. Julius came running out with two other little boys his age and Cassius jumped out the car, heading his way without even thinking twice. "Daddy!" J stopped the game of freeze tag he had joined in with his church friends and ran up to his dad that was dressed semi-appropriately for church yet he didn't even go inside. "Why are you here?"

Cassius hugged J and patted his back. "Came here for you and your brother. Thought y'all might want to go get something to eat after church."

"Cai isn't here. He stayed with mommy."

Damn, Cassius cursed to himself. A young man walking past noticed King and instantly grew excited. "King??? Is it you? Is it really you?" He exclaimed, almost having half the mind to bow down and kiss his feet. Cassius looked at him blankly, hoping he would keep his voice down because these church members could most likely snitch. "You know, when you got locked up my people said you wasn't coming back. But I knew you was man, can't no bars hold you back. Seattle needed you."

Cass simply nodded while Julius held on to his pant's leg, both of them looking at the talkative man in front of them. "I'm glad to see you. Especially here at my grandmama church and everything. Wait til I tell the big homies this." He slapped his hands together, a bright smile on his face.

Scanning him up and down, Cassius took in his red and white stripped American Eagle button downed shirts that was tucked in a pair of khaki pants with some fake gators. He was dressed like a preppy college kid until you took in the plethora of meaningless tattoos streaming out of his sleeves. The man grinned at Cassius and shook his head lightly, still in shock his "idol" was in front of him. "Man oh man... you think you could put me down with that little business you got out in Tacoma?"

"What the hell you talking about?" Cassius finally spoke, his hands out in confusion. The man cleared his throat awkwardly and fidgeted.

"Uh... the business you doing with Darius and Ryan in Tacoma.... I tried to talk to Ryan to put me on but he wasn't listening to me." And neither am I, Cassius almost said but didn't as he watched Riley's mother stare at him in shock across the parking lot.

"This your son?" He nodded down at Julius and Cassius looked back at the man before confirming. "Aww that's what's up. See I got three boys, they a hand full too. Lost my job recently and I'm just tryna make some fast money so they can eat right and be right."

Cassius was honestly tired of hearing the man speak so he decided to make his wish come true. "How bout this.... you go see Ryan again and tell him I recommended you. What's your name again, blood?"

"Elroy."

"Elroy." Cassius repeated knowing he was going to purposely forget by the time he left this church. "You look young. I know a nigga named Rome that can help you out, he manage a gym I own downtown. Go check him out, tell him I sent you."

"Oh my... thank you! Thank you! You really do make dreams come true man. You the Walt Disney in the hood." Elroy beamed wanting to embrace him in a hug but didn't want to risk overstepping any boundaries.