-5

Michael woke up at noon and quickly got dressed. He had dreamt about Julia last night. Even though he didn't personally know her, he liked her. Singing to her was comforting for Michael.

He left his room on his crutches and limped next door. His leg had healed quite a bit, and it was worrying him that he would have to go home in a few days. And going home meant going back to school to all the people who hated him.

He pushed open the door to Julia's room. When he got inside, he was met with three blank faces staring at him. There was a man and a woman and a younger girl. Michael presumed they were Julia's family.

Her dad gave Michael a dirty look, while her mam stared at Michael's bright green hair. She didn't say anything.

Julia's dad asked Michael what the hell he was doing in here. Michael told him he came in to see Julia every day. Her dad asked why. Michael told him the nurse said singing to her could be good for her. Julia's dad laughed at him, then told him to get out.

Michael stood at the door and looked over at Julia. She was still in the same position as when he had first come into this room.

Julia's dad stood up and told Michael that he wouldn't ask him to get out again. Michael said he was sorry and left the room.

He limped back to his room and sat on the edge of the bed. He stared at the wall, playing with his fingers. What would he do now that he couldn't sing to Julia?

All of a sudden, his home life and life at the hospital seemed just as lonely as each other.