Chapter Twenty-Four: A Shell of a Ghost

{-------}

"Your words in my head, knives in my heart. You build me up and then I fall apart." Human by Christina Perri

Chris

"Christopher, honey? Can you hear me?" I opened my eyes and found the night sky.

"He's awake, pupils are dilating." The voice said as a bright light blinded me for a moment. A middle aged black woman stared back down at me. She was in a blue shirt that had blood on it.

"S-Shit, where's Irina!?" I asked, trying to get up.

"Calm down, it's alright. We've already taken her away." she said, trying to soothe me.

"I need to see her!" I screamed. "You will honey. We need to take you to the hospital anyway. You've got a nasty cut on your forehead." I nodded as she helped me up and I walked over to the ambulance.

The whole ride to the hospital, the woman sat beside me. I wiggled my leg, and kept opening and closing my hands out of nervousness.

"She's going to be alright." the woman said, offering me a small smile. "She's pretty tough, your girl. She was still breathing when we got to her." I let a small smile paint my lips. She really was tough.

"She looked pretty beaten up though." I glanced at her. "My friends are waiting with her psychotic ex-boyfriend...I never would lay a malicious hand on her." I said, placing my head in my hands.

"I know hon." She rubbed my back as a way to reassure me.

When we got to the hospital, a younger nurse patched me up and then I spent the rest of my time in the waiting room. The sun was just illuminating the Earth when the doors slid open.

The guys and Allie appeared, looking exhausted and worried.

"Is she okay!?" Allie asked, attacking me in a hug. "I don't know." I said, shaking my head. The guys all found seats and soon we were waiting. At about eight AM a doctor appeared.

"Irina Davenshire?" I jolted up and walked towards him.

"Are you family?" I shook my head.

"Her mother is dead and father just committed suicide." "We've contacted a cousin who will be here soon. Unfortunately I cannot disclose any information on her." I sighed deeply.

"Please I'm her...boyfriend. Chris Cerulli." I choked out the words. He nodded and looked at his clipboard. After a moment he spoke.

"Well she is fine now. We have stitched up her cuts along with the one's that apparently were self-inflicted."

"Oh, no, those were done by her ex-boyfriend. He's in police custody right now." I supplied anxiously. He nodded.

"I don't know how she survived it honestly. But that girl has been through hell. Right now we have just moved her out of surgery and have her on some heavy pain medication." I swallowed hard.

"W-Will she live?" his eyes softened as he heard the sadness in my voice.

"Right now we don't know. She could survive the night, but she might not live the week. She is talking now, but she has suffered a lot of damage and is floating in and out."

Pain radiated through my chest and into my limbs. I felt detached. She was a ghost. He kept speaking but I stopped listening.

"I will keep you updated." I shook his hand but I wasn't there. I turned and jumped as the guys and Allie all walked over from a very close proximity.

They were all silent, shock overtaking them.

It was my fault.

My fault that she was in that accident.

My fault that she wouldn't go to school to sing or see Italy.

My fault that William Hart even found her in the first place.

I knew what I had to do. I pushed past them and out of the hospital without looking back.

Irina

The first thing that woke me was pain. Pain. It was all over, like giant air sacks on all four walls around me pushing down. I stirred as a nurse jabbed my arm with a needle and withdrew some dark red liquid. My blood, I was surprised there was any left.

"C-Chris." I mumbled softly. She looked at me, her eyes soft.

"Irina, your cousin is here." My cousin...I didn't even know I had a cousin. A beautiful girl with blue eyes and long brown hair came into view.

"Hey Irina, it's me Penelope." she smiled meekly and rubbed my hand.

"W-What happened?" I choked.

"Well you had an accident and you broke a lot of bones." "Where's Chris?" I asked, trying to sit up even though my body protested. She moved closer.

"Here, lay down and I'll go see if I can find him. There's also someone here who would like to speak with you." I rested back as Penelope left and a man appeared. He was wearing a suit and carrying a briefcase.

"Irina Davenshire?" I nodded. "In reference to your current state, I will not keep you long. I would like to set up an appointment with you to talk with you about your inheritance."

"What?" I asked, praying that Penelope would come back.

"Your aunt Lacey was found dead in her home as you know. Her will stated that everything: her money, property, and affairs would be left to you." My head spun with this new information.

"I will leave my card here. I hope you will be feeling better soon." he said as he left.

I stared up at the ceiling, tears welling in my eyes.

All of that, all left to me. But what would I do with it. My family was gone...Chris would help me, he'd know what to do. I bunched up the thin blanket in my fists and I listened to the ticking of the clock.

He's fine. He isn't dead. I tried to remember. The seat belt and then lights bright lights. I remember seeing his figure, someone looming over it. He wasn't dead, he couldn't be. The door opened and my heart raced. Penelope appeared, alone.

"I talked to his friend...Angelo? They said he's fine." I waited for her to go on.

"Irina, he's gone. They don't know where he is."

My heart sunk. After all of this and he just disappears. Tears of anger and sadness welled up inside of me like a volcano ready to explode. I let one tear fall and then bit back a sob.

"You need some rest." Penelope said softly. She dimmed the lights and took the available arm chair at my bedside.

Her breathing soon slowed and then I was left to my own, staggered breathing.

He left, he was gone.

My vision blurred once more as my body started to ache.

My body was broken, my brain like relish, but one thing was for sure, I would never forgive him.

Ever.

{-----}