Chapter three: All Hope Can't Be Lost.

Daddy. He got killed because of the governor and now one of his people came to finish the job.

"Stay behind me." Daryl pushed me behind him as he held up his crossbow towards Tara. "Give me one reason why I shouldn't kill you right now?"

"I-I didn't know who Philip was, I didn't know what he was going to do." She stuttered, scared for her life. "I lost my sister and niece." She began to cry as she still held her gun in her hand which was shaking.

"Do you want us to feel sorry for you?" Daryl snapped and just as he was about to shoot the arrow into her skull, I placed my hand on his shoulder.

"Wait." I said softly as I approached her and Daryl tried to stop me but I pushed past him. "May I see that?" I took the gun from her and checked the bullets. "They're all here," I smiled, "she didn't harm anyone."

"But that doesn't mean we should trust her." Daryl still held his crossbow at her.

"Look, she doesn't have any other weapons and can't you see that she did nothing wrong?" I said.

Daryl lowered his crossbow. "Fine, but I still don't trust you." He walked off further into the forest while I took a piece of the rabbit that Daryl cooked up and handed it to Tara.

"Thanks." We both sat down and enjoyed the little food we had left. "Why did you stick up for me like that, how did you know?"

"I used to be like that. Scared and afraid." I said, taking small pieces and putting them into my mouth.

"I watched my sister get attacked by the dead. They just jumped on her and she did nothing to get away," she sighed, "and I'm assuming my niece is dead."

"I'm sorry." I whispered, thinking of my dad and Maggie.

"No, I'm sorry about your group. I had no idea Phillip was that type of person and your group looked like good people," she explained, "and when he killed that old man, I felt sick to my stomach." A tear slipped out of my eye but I quickly wiped it away, not showing any weakness.

Beth doesn't cry anymore.

"Were you close with him? The man who died in front of your group." She asked.

"Yes," I whispered, "he was my father."

Tara covered her mouth in shock and gasped. "I'm so sorry, Beth."

I shrugged. "What's done is done, you can't turn back now. Besides, the governor is probably dead. Rick probably killed him."

"Rick?" She asked.

"The leader of the group, the man who was at the fence talking to the governor." I told her and she slowly nodded as I pictured those events in my mind. Maggie screaming in my ear, my throat becoming dry, my face covered in tears, the gunfire, the death. It was a sad day that I would never forget.

"I wish I just stayed where I was, it was peaceful there and the dead never came." Tara said, finishing off her rabbit.

"Why did you leave?"

"Because I was sick of doing nothing, who knew the Apocalypse could be so boring?" We both chuckled at her comment as Daryl returned with nothing but blood scattered all over him. He was panting as he chucked his crossbow onto the ground, next to me.

"What happened to you?" I looked up at him as he looked around.

"A heard of walkers came at me and I had to fight at least seven of them off." Daryl grunted while picking up his crossbow again. "We gotta move, there's more coming."

There wasn't a safe place with walkers around. There were always going to be walkers roaming the streets, just waiting for humans to pass through. I dusted myself off and checked that my knife was secure in my knife pocket before leaving again.

"Are you coming with us?" I asked, standing up.

"If that's okay with?" She paused, not knowing his name.

"Daryl," he grunted again, "if you do anything as much as breathe, you're dead." Tara nodded quickly as Daryl continued up ahead.

I didn't know what was up with him, one minute he was all sweet and the next, he acted like he didn't want to know me.

"Come on." I muttered to Tara who walked side by side with me. We followed Daryl out of the woods and onto the silent road again and I didn't know what was coming next.

*

The silence between us rippled throughout this journey on the long road ahead. Daryl hadn't said anything for a while. He slung his crossbow over his shoulder while walking further ahead of us.

"Ever since the prison, I have always been searching for my sister. I had always hoped that she would just be around the corner." I told Tara.

"Was she at the prison too?" Tara asked, kicking gravel that was on the road.

"Yeah, I didn't see her after that. Did you see her? Did anyone get out?" I asked, hoping to hear the answer I wanted.

"Well, what did she look like?"

"Ginger shoulder length hair and she was with a Korean guy with black hair." I said, scratching the back of my head.

"Yes!" Tara smiled. "I saw them get out, at the back of the prison before I saw my sister get killed."

I sighed with relief. "That means they could be still alive." I could feel the hope inside of my grow even higher as I listened to Tara mention seeing my sister and her husband. "Did you hear that Daryl?" I shouted as he continued to walk straight ahead of us.

He brushed me off in annoyance. "Yes, I heard that they could be alive but that was like, what? A month ago. They could be dead by now."

And there goes my hope. It just flew out of me and now I was here to suffer with the idea of my sister not making it.

She had to make it, she just had too. It was Maggie, my sister. The one and only. She was going to make it, just like the rest of us.