Chapter 9

~Rori~

When I was a junior in high school I would go to the front door of my home, awaiting my dad that was sitting at the desk like in TV shows. I would see the lamp light shining through the windows. I knew that if I went through that door right then, my phone privileges would be gone for about two weeks to a month. I was not going to go through that. If I did, it would of seemed as though my life would have ended. Thankfully there was a window to my room.

This time was a little bit different, but Lilly was still waiting for me at that desk by the door. There was no window that I could climb through and save my freedom. This time I was awaiting the torture of telling my feelings to my best friend that will make fun of me. I carefully opened the door, secretly hoping for her to be asleep at the desk. I walked in looking down still feeling a smile on my face. I looked up to find Lilly creepily smiling at me.

She stands up and I say, "It went well," and she hugged me. I drop my bag and wrap my arms around her. This was the first time in a couple years that I haven't thought about the assassins, that I haven't thought about my mistake. I realized that my hand was holding onto my locket. I look down and there is a white paper sticking out from it. Lilly watches me open it and it falls to the ground like a feather. She grabs it and opens it. It was quiet as she opened the folded piece of paper.

"Meet me the dance studio at 7:00 pm tomorrow!" she reads looking up at me, with a smile. I stood there drowned in my thoughts. What if this note is from an assassin, that would be a perfect way.

"I can't go," I say taking the paper and dropping it into the trash. Then I go to the fridge and try to grab the orange juice, but Lilly of course stopped me. She closes the fridge and I look at her annoyed face.

"What is the reason for this insanity," she says. I look at her still wondering what would happen if I did go.

"All I can say is I have no clue who wrote that note," I say walking away already hearing her walk behind me.

"You can't-"

"Worry about that, I know," I say turning around, "But I have to ask, what if." I say remembering the first time I had beat up someone, the first time I started fearing. Lilly smiles and walks toward me.

"Do I have to repeat the speech?" She asks smiling. I roll my eyes, I have to worry.

"What would you do if you were me?" I say starting to stress about tomorrow.

"You already know my answer silly. You fight amazingly and you are smart. If I were you, I would go," She says still smiling. I give her a reassuring smile, put my hair up, and clean my face. I hear her leave the room and shout that she is making a snack. I dry off my face and quickly grab the paper from the trash bin. I slowly open the letter and analyze the writing, but the paper quickly gets stuffed in my pocket as Lilly walks in asking me if I want M&Ms in my popcorn. I laugh and nod my head, making sure that she doesn't notice. She walks out and I open up the note once more, but my phone makes me jump as someone calls me.

"Hello?" I ask, realizing that I didn't see the caller ID.

"Hey make sure to look nice tomorrow," The voice says then hangs up abruptly. I look at the history and the ID was unknown. It must be someone who wants to hurt me. I should've been scared, but instead I was tired. I was exhausted, I wanted to give up.

~Lilly~

I didn't know if I was really getting through to Rori, she seemed sketchy. I needed to get through to her because she needed to live. If she lived every day like this it would be the same thing as living in that stupid abandoned apartment.

I finished making the popcorn and sat by Rori. She looks at me and takes a handful of chocolate popcorn.

"You aren't going to go are you?" I ask, trying reverse psychology. She rolls her eyes and stands up.

"It is not a big of a deal okay?!?" She yells then storms off. That did not turn out as planned.

~Rori~

I did not want to tell her that I was going. It was infuriating enough that she kept bringing it up. We didn't speak the rest of that night. I couldn't sleep that night also.

"I am sorry Rori, okay? I am sorry," She says as I eat my bowl of cheerios. I smile and give her a hug, still not admitting that I was going to the "date" tonight.

"So want to go to a movie tonight instead?" She asks with a friendly smile. I knew it was a nice gesture, but she was also seeing if I was going or not. I had to say yes.

"What type of movie?" I ask smiling.

"Actually I have no money, sorry," She says laughing. I smile once more, she was giving me a chance to go. She was being careful around me because of my little outburst the night before.

"I am going okay, sorry no movie," I say smiling, she was going to find out sooner or later.

"I knew it!" She screams smiling. Now all I had to worry about was how tonight was going to work out. It was definitely going to be interesting.