Chapter 15

“I can’t believe you,” Harry laughed, as Zayn blushed, grabbing the laptop off the table. He quickly typed in First Minister of Scotland in the Google search box, his eyes widening and eyebrows raising as he leaned over to stare at the writing on the computer. “Not so oblivious now, ‘ey?”

Zayn shook his head, slapping the laptop shut and placing it on the table, biting his knuckles as he stared at the red headed girl, who sat in the kitchen across from the living room. She’d gotten a nasty cut on her head, and Niall was meanding the wound with the first aid box.

Liam and Cassie had quickly gotten over who Rosalind really was, and spent the rest of the day lounging about the large house. Harry and Laura would occasionally play a game of cards, and Louis and Eleanor would carry on a normal conversation up in their bedroom. Perrie and Zayn, however, were quite upset. Zayn had just learned that Perrie would be leaving soon, considering it had been two weeks since she and Eleanor had arrived. Her band, Little Mix, needed her, just as One Direction needed Zayn.

The couple had fallen under a sad spell, and Zayn couldn’t even approach her as she packed her belongings in their shared bedroom. Perrie wasn’t the only one leaving, Eleanor was as well. She needed to get to her studies in university, no matter the war. She’d been with Louis longer than Perrie had been with Zayn, so she understood and was used to the fact that she would be far apart from her boyfriend quite often.

As Zayn finally built up the courage to help Perrie pack, Cassie and Liam strolled into the living room, hand in hand. Cassie had her white iPhone pressed to her cheek as she chatted with her mother endlessly.

“Yes, Mum,” she answered, as her mother asked if Liam was treating her right, “Where’s Oliver?”

Her mother sighed before answering, “I’m afraid I don’t know, Cass. Ever since the bombing at the church, he’s been moving around a lot, from station to station to help battle. Your father’s on the look out at the moment, I’m sure they’ll find him.”

“I hope so,” Cassie said, a frown twiching upon her lips as she realized how much she missed her elder brother. 

“I can practically hear you frowning over the phone, love. Don’t worry, we’ll find him.”

“I just miss him.”

“I know, dear, I know. I’ve got to head off to bed, time differences, don’t forget. It’s nearly seven in the evening there, am I correct?” her mother said, yawning at the end of her sentence.

“Yeah.”

“It’s nearly midnight, Cassie, your father will be home soon. I’ve got to go,” her mother said, and they exchanged farewells before hanging up.

Cassie sat on the couch in the living room, across from one of the love seats Harry was seated on, his large fingers tapping away at his phone. She curled into a ball and wrapped her arms around her knees, leaning her forehead against her kneecaps and blinking away tears. It had been so long since she’d seen her family, about a month. She’d left on January second, and it was about February fifth. Her birthday was in nine days, on Valentine’s day, and she wouldn’t be spending it with her family like she usually did.

Liam plopped down on the couch next to her, munching on a piece of toast he’d stolen from Niall’s plate.

“What’s got you down?” he asked, offering the toast to his fiancé. 

Cassie graciously took the toast and took a bite, handing it back to Liam before saying, “My brother’s gone missing in battle, no one knows where he is.”

As Liam pulled her in a tight embrace, telling her everything was going to be okay, Niall and Rosalind finally carried on a conversation in the kitchen.