Staying Strong

Its been almost one week since my dear Katniss was in a car crash.

All i've done is non stop worrying because as expected, Kaniss still hasn't woken.

I've been to see Katniss almost every day. School is a last priority right now.

I'm snapped out of my thoughts when i hear foot steps coming towards me.

I don't have the strength to look up, so i don't.

A hand pats my shoulder and just from that small gesture, i know its Finnick.

"Peeta. I know its hard but you haven't moved from where i left you an hour ago." Finnick says as he sits down beside me.

I don't answer. I know i haven't moved but there's no where to go. I need to be here in case there's any news on Katniss.

"Peeta. Katniss wouldn't want you to be like this. She'd want you to be strong. If not for yourself, then be strong for her." Annie says just now making me aware that she's also here.

At that point i break. The tears come rolling out of my eyes.

Unstoppable.

"That's the thing though, she's es not here. Shes attached to 1 million wires connected to machines in a room alone!" I exclaim.

"Peeta you need to calm down." Finnick says giving me stern eyes.

"Don't you dare tell me what to do. Don't." I say standing up angrily.

Annie steps back while Finnick stands up looking shocked.

Realization his me as soon as i know what i've just done. Is not Finnick or Annie's fault and it was wrong for me to take it out on them.

Just as i'm about to apologize something catches my eye.

Someone.

"You." I spit out charging towards Gale.

I feel sick to the stomach when i see a hint of a smirk sprawled across his disgusting face.

My fist is about to come in contact with his face when arms wrap around my waist stopping me.

"Peeta no!" Katniss' dad says keeping a tight grip on me.

"You hurt her. You're a monster! What did she ever do to you?" I shout forgetting about my surroundings but i'm waiting for a response.

Waiting and waiting....nothing.

"Gale Hawthorne. I am arresting you on suspicion of attempted murder. Anything you do may say will harm your defense in court." A police man says attaching Gales hands into handcuffs.

I take a deep breath as i watch the police man take Gale out of the hospital.

Katniss' dad pats my arm and i calm down.

Finally. Gale has been arrested and i'm glad. Its about time he pays for everything he has done to put Katniss is harms way.

"Its okay. Hes gone now. There's no way he'll get away with what hes done." Katniss' mom says as she leads me back over to the seat i was previously sitting on.

Finnick hands me a bottle of water and i gulp it down before rubbing my eyes.

"When was the last time you slept?" Annie questions as i turn my head slowly to look at her.

"I don't remember." I reply honestly.

I hear Katniss' mom sigh beside me before she speaks as steady as she can manage.

"Listen Peeta, I know this is really hard. We are all struggling but you have to stay strong. We've just spoken to the nurse and she told us they are going to try and wake Katniss this weekend." She starts as my eyes open wide.

"She told me how strong Katniss has become over the last week and they are surprised at how fast she is healing. I'm not saying shes going to be completely pain free but its worth a try. She's got tons of support ahead of her." She finishes and i feel a new round of tears arrive on my face.

I nod my head fast taking on every word.

"You need to eat and sleep. Katniss won't want to see you like this. She'd want you to be able to look after her when she wakes. Apart from Prim and her friends, you mean everything to her." Katniss' dad says showing me a smile.

Finally i allow myself to return the small gesture.

Gale has finally been arrested and on top of that, I could be able to see my girlfriends beautiful grey eyes this weekend.

I can only hope that everything will go well and Katniss will remain strong enough to pull through.

From today i'm going to change.

I'm going to stay strong so i can be there for her.

Its all i want to do for the rest of my life.