Chapter 11

''Have you heard that?"

''What?"

"That squee sound," you tried to find source of the sound. You were sure you didn't imagine things. The forest around you seemed to be calm.

"Come to think of it...," Atem said looking around. Once again you heard the squee. The half-dragon followed the sound and walked towards a crack in the rocks. You looked inside the hole and saw a small, fluffy ball. You saw yellow feathers. It cocked it's head and looked at you.

"It's a griffin!" you shouted taking it into your arms. It was no bigger than an adult cat. It squeed again nestling in your arms. "So cute~! Can we keep it?"

"Huh? I don't think it's a good idea. His mother might be lurking around," Atem replied. You pursed your lips and looked at him frowning.

"But I can't see his mother anywhere. Besides, she could be, em... dead by now."

Atem looked at you conflicted. He scratched his chin. His amethyst eyes were examining you from head to toe. You wondered what came across his mind. Finally he signed.

"Alright."

"Yay! Thank you!" you beamed at him and hugged the griffin closer. It poked your cheek and tugged on your hair. "Hmm, how should I name you? Atem, got any ideas?"

He shrugged as if saying: 'No. You're the owner.'

"Mako!" you exclaimed, finally getting the idea. The creature squeed again and fluttered its wings. You grinned. Atem only nodded, you guessed he didn't understand your excitement.

You travelled by foot through the forest. You had to find a path leading to the Lake where you were supposed to meet with Yugi and the rest. Atem said that he knows the road, but it will take at least two days to reach the Lake. You walked in a steady pace maneuvering through the rocks. Mako settled on your shoulders. You didn't mind the occasional squees in your ears.

For the night you decided to camp between the rocks. Just in case if griffins were to attack once again. The discussion about what griffins ate was resolved by the creature itself. While you talked it caught a bird on the branch. You were terrified because your argument about Mako being a herbivore was violently torn to shreds.

"Mako, why?"

"Told you, griffins were carnivores."

You sighed and laid on your blanket. You looked up, towards the stars. You reached your hand to the sky, wanting to touch it somehow. Your silver bracelet reflected the light. You noticed few scratches on it. You focused your sight on the stars again. Those small natural wonders made you happy inside. You looked at Atem's profile when he sat beside you. His face, as usual was focused. He frowned. Somehow he looked nostalgic. You wondered what he was thinking about. He was so enigmatic sometimes. Like a million thoughts were crossing his mind, yet he decided to not share them with anyone.

"Do you like watching stars?" you felt a little silly asking him, but you wanted to start a conversation.

"Not really," he replied after a few moments and frowned a bit more. Why was he looking so down? You didn't know, but were determined to change it. You didn't like it, when he was sad. You didn't know why.

"Oh, I see..." silence greeted you. You sighed softly and turned your gaze towards the sky. You guessed you won't be hearing much from him tonight. You watched the shining sparks dance on the horizon. A few trees obstructed your view, but you could still see the sparkling lights.