Chapter 15

(STILL FLASHBACK)

Alex peered out of the entrance of the cave, making sure there was nobody in sight.  Crawling out, he motions for Jackson to follow him.

Standing up from the spotless street alley, Alex and Jackson looked around the nearest corner. Alex turned to face Jackson, who was trembling in fear. "Do you have any idea where they might have gone?"

Jackson shrugged. "They probably headed for the city gates."

Alex nodded, knowing exactly where the massive walls of metal were; the walls that held everyone captive in the city, like animals in a cage.

"We're gonna have to travel by the rooftops," Alex concluded, pulling out a rope with a hook at the end. Jackson looked at him in horror.

"But I'm afraid of heights..." He whimpered.

"Alright, then you can stay behind, let your uncle or a Draculiod find you, and you'll be stuck here forever." Alex swung the rope and sent it flying up one of the buildings. He tugged at it to make sure it was secure.

Jackson took a deep breath, wiping the  dirt off his face. "Fine, just can you help me up?"

Alex took his hand. "I'd never leave an ally behind." He says boldly, while helping Jackson climb the steep wall.

Once they reached the top, Alex looks around the metallic landscape, searching for the city wall. It was difficult to see much beyond the wall due to the fact that it was nighttime and the city was lit up.

After a few moments of searching, Alex spots it, pointing to the east for Jackson to see. For the first time since Alex had met him, Jackson smiled.

"It's only a few buildings over, Jack; we can cross the buildings with this rope." Alex said enthusiastically.

Jackson smiled again at the nickname. "Call me Jack from now on; my old name reminds me of my old life."

Alex gave him a thumbs up and threw the rope to the building next to the one they were currently standing on, tugging at it again.  He then grabbed the rope and swung across to the next building, hitting his feet against the wall and inching up the rope.

Once Alex was safely across, he threw the rope back over to Jack.  Jack looked at it skeptically, but eventually swung across, forcing back a yelp when his feet slammed into the wall.

After swinging over several buildings, the two boys have finally reached the looming wall.  Fortunately for them, no Scarecrows or Draculiods were to be seen anywhere. 

Alex hopped off the building and looked over the edge of the wall; it was a long way down.  He looked back to Jack. "The rope is not gonna reach the bottom, so I'll go down first, and I'll catch you when you jump off of the rope."

Jack looked nervous, but he agreed, since he didn't want to be stuck in here forever.  Suddenly, the two boys hear voices coming from the other side of the wall.  Alex peered over to see two boys; one boy was carrying the other one.

Jack looked over as well, his eyes lighting up.  "It's Zachary and Rian!" He whisper-shouted.  "Rian looks like he broke his leg or something." He waved to his two friends.

Zachary squinted in the darkness. "Jackson, is that you?"

"Yeah, hi Zack." Jack replied, shortening his name in the same way Alex had shortened his. Alex gave him a look of a approval.

"We're coming down." Alex warned, securing the rope.

Zack narrowed his eyes at the stranger. "Jack, who is that?"