twenty three

A/N: This one contains mature material! There are mentions of rape so if that's not your thing then skip this one and I can fill you in by private message :)

Clara's POV

Alby had his arms held out, requesting everyone's attention. At this point in time, just like last night, Alby seemed like himself again. The fire had gone very well last night and for the first time in a while we were all relaxed and having a great time being with each other. And then we wake up this morning and the sun is gone. Literally. There's nothing but a grey slate above us and it has nearly everyone panicking over what it could mean.

Teresa hovered beside me with Thomas beside her. They had really bonded at the fire last night and both opened up about some things they remembered from their past together. I'm happy she has made another friend, someone she feels comfortable with, because yesterday was just weird. She kept following me around and asking questions, which I'm happy to answer but it's so different than what I'm used to. She remembered so much more about her time at Wicked, even more than me and I had gone through the changing. There was some kind of weird bond between us and I know it has something to do with Wicked and our time spent there.

In all honesty I'm really just itching to go back into the maze and be a runner again.

"Okay, everyone, listen up!" Alby called out, silencing the crowd.

Chuck pushed his way to the front, stopping in front of me. I smiled down at him and placed my hands on his shoulders as we waited for Alby.

"As you have all noticed the sky has changed today. Many of you are saying it's our new greenie's fault but there's no way we can know that for sure. Until things have calmed down we are putting her in the slammer."

There was an uproar throughout the crowd, Thomas included, as I turned to Teresa. My hands tightened on Chuck's shoulders as I spoke quickly to her and she watched me intently.

"This could be good for you. You'll be safe in there." I whispered to Teresa, patting her shoulder. "I'll get you out and come check on you just hang on."

She nodded at me before being dragged off to the slammer. Alby held up his hands to try to calm the crowd, watching Teresa with a sympathetic smile.

I turned to Newt who was watching the crowd silently, gauging everyone's reactions. It seems there was an overwhelming amount of gladers who wanted to see her banished but I couldn't even imagine them following through with it. Surely we couldn't banish someone for simply being put in here?

"Everything else will go on as normal! Dismissed!" Alby yelled out, silencing the crowd once more. "Clara, Newt, Thomas, Minho, follow me." Alby gestured for us to follow him to the slammers. I ruffled Chuck's hair before we parted watching as he wandered away. Newt grabbed my hand as we started walking. The trek there was silent as we all thought about what we could do and what needed to be done.

Alby turned to us once we were right outside of Teresa's cell. She leaned against the bars, ready to hear what Alby had to say.

"Clara, you and Newt will be working on getting us out of here today. You said something about the maps being a code, well today you're going to try your hardest to break the code. Thomas and Minho will go out into the maze as usual to see if anything else has changed. Both of you need to watch the time carefully though since there's no sun now. Minho, you decide if you want your other runners out there or not. Teresa, hang tight and go over any memories you might still have that can help us. If you think of anything we'll get Clara over here to help you. If there's no questions, I'll see you all later." Alby said, looking at each one of us.