twenty nine

A/N: There is a mild warning for language and character death in this one! Also, only one more chapter left after this one guys! Can't believe we're already here! I will start working on the next book as soon as possible. Any suggestions for a title?

My eyes quickly searched the bodies scattered around on the ground but I didn't see my brother anywhere. I pulled away from Chuck and I walked over bodies left and right searching for a brown head of hair that matched mine. Loud alarms blared throughout the room and the stench of death hung heavily around us.

I felt a breath of relief escape me as I finally took in the rest of the room after not finding Chase. The other gladers walked around near me, searching the large room. There was a row of screens that I'd seen over and over in my memories, screens where they watched us, where I watched them before I was thrown into the maze. I glanced up at Newt who still walked beside me as he took everything in with a solemn expression.

"So, they were watching us." He mumbled quietly to no one in particular. My eyes landed on a screen in front of me and I gasped. It was Newt's profile.

I leaned in and quickly scanned the words before me.

Subject A5 Isaac Newton "Newt". There was a picture with some brain scans as well but no other information.

The screen next to his had Chase. Subject A3 Chase Barton- *Behavioral issues. Subject on high alert*. Wait, Barton? I looked again and shook my head. No, my name is Jackson, surely Chase's is too. I moved down the row and stopped beside Thomas' where I found mine.

Subject A4 Clara Barton- *To be detained upon arrival*. What does that mean? There it was again, Barton. I thought my last name was Jackson... I wonder what other memories were incorrect then. They could have lied about everything...I looked at the rest of the passage, my eyes widening in horror.

                Subject A4 was improperly thrown into experiment at last moment. Subject A3 is serving time for this "accident" while we determine further behavioral issues with both subjects. When subject A4 returns to Wicked's custody she will pay for her own actions and until that time is deemed as "unpredictable and dangerous". Subject may show side effects of improper treatment at Wicked compound as well as improper memory swipe performed by subject A3. Further testing still to be completed including: lab work, electroshock, and other experimental techniques. *When testing is in progress alert staff doctors of possible trauma and/or heart failure due to previous testing complications*.

Update: Subject A4 has bonded with subject A5 and both have improved brain activity in the killzone area. Subject A4 will remain with subject A5 until this is not the case. Subject A4's detainment has been postponed until further notice. Subject A3 will continue to be the "lab rat" in A4's absence.

I heard a gasp over my shoulder and glanced behind me. Newt was reading my screen with wide, teary eyes. I turned back to the screen and reread the last line. Lab rat? Those assholes were treating Chase as a lab rat since I wasn't around? That's all we were to them!? I felt the rage flow through me and my body started to tremble. Newt grasped my hand tightly and wrapped his arm around me.

"They treated you as a lab rat?" I could hear the anger in Newt's tone and nodded, absently still staring at the screen.

"We'll make them pay for everything they've done to you, Clara. For everything they've done to Chase." He kissed my head lightly before separating and continuing his own observance of the room.

I huffed in frustration before pulling my eyes away from the screens and looking around the rest of the room. My eyes landed on one of the bodies behind a large desk. I saw the head of blonde hair I'd recognized as the chancellor and began to walk to her when a voice echoed through the room.