Chapter 19 - Rachel's P.O.V.

Being a girl has its advantages over the boys.

Like, we can do several things at the same time. It's call multitasking.

Men, on the other hand, can listen to a speech or monolog and will only pick up one thing, that maybe isn't that relevant.

I felt a man right now.

I had paid attention to every single word Octavian told me, understanding them (but that didn't mean that it was easy to stop worrying over it), but there was one thing that stood out from the rest.

'We can be the happy little family we were always supposed to be'...

I had a lot of fear. Mortals are nothing without fears. Fear to the unknown. Fear to death. Fear to loneliness. Gods made sure we were fearful, that way, we'd rely on them.

I thought I was acting normal, showing my fear to Octavian, thinking he'd act braver to tell me I should be afraid... but I realized that that was a mistake. He scared of what I thought and that was his fear.

"You- you're right..." I finally spoke to him, trying to calm down my shaking hands and the sobs that wanted to get out of my body "We- we shouldn't lie to each other..." He relaxed, slightly "But, there's one thing I can't tell you and that's the reason why I feel fear..."

"What-?! Rachel, we just agreed-"

"Let me finish, please" I cut him, sighing. He stopped talking, but he looked unsure "I can't tell you the reason of my fear, because I'm not sure about it myself" I explained, trying for him to understand where I was standing "I'm not afraid of death, because I know we'll wait for each other in Elysium" I saw him lowering his head, looking away from me.

"I'm not sure I'll be there, waiting for you" I frowned at him, confused "I'll probably end up in the Fields of Punishment-"

"No" I cut him, looking at him, sternly "Octavian, everyone deserves a second chance and you got yours... I know you won't mess up this time, because you're already making so much to change your life" I emphasized to him, smiling because of how proud I am of him already "You matured enough to get your own job, to get your own place to live, to take care of a brother you never knew you had!" I kept smiling at him "Look how much you accomplished in a year..."

"But, I began a war with people who didn't deserve it and made you suffer... Those things will be against me during the final trial..."

"Ian..." I called him, making him face me "If you're afraid to see me hurt, let me warn you that this is not working..." I tried to joke to him, pulling a little smile from him "Oh, Ian..." I ended up saying and resting my forehead against his "When did life got so complicated?" I wondered, not expecting an answer.

"We should make it simple then..." he stared at me, more calm and lovingly "I love you. I adore Umbreon. I want to look after Caesar. I want you in my life for the rest of my days. I want you to live with me..." I stared at him, kind of surprise.

"Mr. Alexander, is that a moving in proposition?" I joked with him, putting on my cheekiest smile.

"Sounds like it, right Ms. Dare?" he played along, chuckling. I laughed with him, more relieved that our relationship wasn't go down the toilet.

"I, um... I have one more confession to make..." I began, still smiling at him. His happy face suddenly turned into a frown, checking on me "Ian, I'm OK... Actually, we're more than OK!" That made him pay attention "I, um... When I left before... I went looking for a job" I waited for his reply, or argument, but... he just sat there, watching me. Well, watching me and petting Umbreon, who in some point, had climbed up and curled in his lap.

"And...?" he urged me to know. He could tell I was happy and excited, which is probably why he didn't argue with me.

"I got one!!" I bursted out, smiling like a maniac. I couldn't hide the surprise anymore and it exploded like a piñata after being smashed open "It's little, in a gallery and I'll be working on the weekends, but it'll help us get on our feet and we can keep the apartment and get Caesar into a good school and pay back my parents and-" He cut my rant with a short kiss that I returned. It felt so good.

Can you believe that was all it took? One kiss and our problems melted away!

We should had tried that sooner...

"I'm so happy for you Rach..." he congratulated me. I was simply smiling at him "You could work at what you love and do best than everyone..." I blushed at his complement, happy.

"I still don't know how much I'm getting paid, but... I was thinking we could like, divided it in portions... For example" I said, when he gave me a puzzled look "We can have one part for expenses and food, another part for Caesar's education-"

"We can do everything you want..." he promised me. I nodded.

"Then, we're gonna start by turning the guest room into Caesar's room!" I announced, getting up, happy. He picked Umbreon up and followed me.

"One question..." he made me turn to see him, confused "Does this mean you're sleeping with me?" I stopped and blushed deeply.

"In the most innocent way, I promised" He chuckled at me and I pouted. He said that on purpose to make me embarrassed!

"You look so cute when you get all fluttered" he pointed out, kissing my red cheek. I smiled shyly at him, before getting down to work.

I'm positive right now, things will improve for the better for us. For our little family.