The idiot within the genius (1)

Chapter one: The Idiot within the genius:

I was doodling on a piece of notebook paper as Mr. Waltham went over some review from last year. This was an honors class but the other kids in here didn't seem like they were honors level learners. Mr. Waltham seemed to sense that and he was going much slower than I was used to. So I kept doodling and writing because I had already learned most of this.

"Ms. Carter, what's Y equal to?" Mr. Waltham said, obviously trying to catch me off guard. "Since you seem to be so engrossed in your notes, I think you should know." If I was any other person I would have been caught of guard. But what he didn't know was that I was always on task even when I wasn't. "Six hundred seventy." I said, not missing a beat. Mr. Waltham cocked an eyebrow, his dull blue eyes scrutinizing me.

"Solve this." He turned to face the white board and began writing with a red Expo marker, as if red would emphasize the importance.

My eyes sped over the simple problem and I nearly laughed at the simplicity of it. "Two hundred sixty two." The class had gone into a collective silence as Waltham and I tangoed to the tune of mathematics. Mr. Waltham looked surprised that I'd gotten it right. Who was he kidding? I'm a Junior. I guess maybe I surprised him a little because it's the first day of school and most of our brains were still massively fried from summer parties and a lack of sleep.

"How about this one?"

He wrote a longer problem and this time, then tossed his red marker at me. I caught it then stood up and made my way to the board.

I solved the problem which took quite a bit of time, then when I finished I circled the answer. I turned to Mr. Waltham who walked over to the otherside of the board, copied the problem, then began working it out. The class watched in collective silence as the marker squeaked with each flick of his hand.

Then he stepped back and everyone saw we had the same answer. Then I sat back down, without his permission. He didn't stop me.

My day sped by pretty fast. Before I knew it I was in last period. My English teacher was apparently one of the worst to get. I was about to see whether that was true or not.

"How many of you did your summer reading?" Mrs. Hamlin said as she erased some work on the board from her previous class. "Come on, don't be shy," She said this because I was the only person who raised their hand, other than some kid in the back of the room. Honors classes were the stuff of lies. It was supposed to be for students who worked fast and went above and beyond. But most people signed up for them for the sake of bragging rights rather than their GPA. Something told me, that the kid in the back of the room and I would be the only ones raising our hands this year.

"Can you two come to the front please?" This is one of the reasons I despised first days of school. I stood up and tried to ignore the stares burning into my back as I walked to the front. To say Mrs. Hamlin was short was an understatement. She was tiny compared to some of the kids in here and that's a lot coming from me considering I'm barely 5"4'. She was just at five feet tall and it didn't help that she had short legs and she was thick.

I tried my best to ignore everyone behind me and focus on Mrs. Hamlin. I didn't like her already. She had a false, sugary smile plastered thickly on her tan face, one that was sure to disappear in a week. Her hair though, was a normal enough brown. The thing that struck me the most about her were her eyes. They were a cool, icy blue. "Okay, since you two already finished the summer reading, here's a list of books you can do a report on," What the hell? Was I seriously being rewarded with work for work? "Most of these are short, only about two hundred and fifty pages each..." I was still facing Mrs. Hamlin but, I could feel the other kid beside me. The class this whole time had been snickering at us and making lame jokes, I was getting tired of this.