Bottle of dreams (12)

Chapter twelve: Bottle of dreams:

[Chris's POV]

I woke up with a mild hangover. It wasn't too bad, and it definitely could have been worse, considering last night. Not that I remembered a whole lot of last night.

[LAST NIGHT]

"Was that good for you?"

I took a swig straight from the bottle. Yeah, I took my vodka like I took my girls. Straight and hot. "Yeah." I muttered and that seemed to please her. I slid over a little more to add more distance. I wasn't fully drunk but I was getting tipsy. I took another swig of vodka. I'd long since gotten use to the burn of alcohol, it didn't bother me anymore.

I wish I could say the same about her. She bothered me. I didn't love her, not by any standard of thinking. She was just there anytime I had frustrations I needed to work out. She was just there, vodka bottle in hand, clothing nonexistent.

It was convenient

"So..." Ashlynn said awkwardly. I sighed. Was she really trying to make small talk? I don't know if it was because I was so tipsy that I lost my sense of reason or whatever but, I decided to humor her.

"What, Ash?" Ash sort of slipped out of my mouth before I could stop myself.

For once Ashlynn actually looked pretty. Well, she always looked attractive, but it was a fake kind of attractive. Now she naturally just looked nice. Her blonde hair was kind of messy from what we had just did but in a good way, her eyebrows weren't all penciled in, so her face didn't look harsh. She looked soft and relaxed. It almost made me wish I could love her. Then her voice broke the calm like rippling ocean waves.

"How...how come we aren't a thing?" Her words weren't even slurred. I glanced at her glass. I bet she'd been drinking water the whole time. Probably thought she could get me inappropriately drunk. Not a chance, high alcohol resistance, baby.

"Why should we be a thing, honestly?" I genuinely wanted to know what she thought about this.

"Because..." She thought for a second. "I'm captain of the cheer-squad and your on the football team? Doesn't that say we're both leaders?" She said like she was a confused kid hoping they were right. She smiled hesitantly. I shook my head. That wasn't the answer I was looking for.

"We should be together because our labels fit together?" She nodded. I shook my head again, feeling unreasonably patient.

"No, we should be together because we have things in common, because we have chemistry, real chemistry, because we enjoy each others company...." In the back of my mind I could feel something coming to my attention. Oni's face popped into my mind. Her dark eyes, full lips, and that look she would give me when she was annoyed. I took another swig from the bottle.

"Well we enjoy each others company, obviously," She said gesturing around her bedroom. "I mean, we just--" I stopped her.
"Just...just because we do...sexual things, doesn't mean I should date you. It's got to be more to it than that." Look at me, aren't I just full of surprises today? More like full of shit. Or vodka. Possibly both.

"What do we need? I can do whatever it is." No you couldn't. We're destined to wreck havoc on others, both of us. Together? We worked about as well together the way an earthquake and a tsunami would.

I sighed and pinched the bridge of my nose. "You can't get it and you can't do anything. It just has to be there..."

"Okay."

"We need chemistry, we need to fit together, the way puzzle pieces do," I was buzzed enough that I was waxing on poetic but I didn't care. "We need to love each other, properly..." I stopped talking. I knew neither of us knew very much about that, but I said it all the same.